Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Rogers again...

So if I have understood things correctly Rogers switched from the B&B lugs to the bevertail lugs in around 64. That should also be the time when they switched from the holiday model snares to the powertone snares.

My question is: Did Rogers make holiday snaredrums (with bevertail lugs) in 1965?

The reason I'm asking is that a guy is selling me the snare that's supposed to match my cleveland bevertail kit. He say's they're made at the same time and came together. Shoulden't it be a powertone snare then?

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Roger...

The Powertone model REPLACED the Holiday in 1964... that is correct! The main difference/improvement being the Beavertail lugs! However... and in the vintage drum business there's always a however!...

It is entirely possible that some Holiday tags/labels were left over and applied to Powertone model snare drums in '64... but I can't completely substantiate that. It's just that the more we investigate and learn, the more we see that there were really no rules when it came to drum manufacture back then. Liberties were taken, and no one thought twice about it. They were just "building drums!" So,

It wouldn't surprise me at all, although I have never personally seen a Holiday snare drum with Beavertails.

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

That is correct and one thing i have seen is that in every transition from one type of drum to the other there are crossovers in other words they were not wasting parts...you see alot of paper tags marked out and holiday typed in and when they changed to beavertail lugs alot of the first kits had bowtie Rods so there could be any configuation...

Posted on 17 years ago

Sounds fair...What about the tower model? What's the difference between that one and the powertone?

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Roger...

Ahh... the Tower. The Tower model snare drum is an excellent drum. I have had THREE,... ( all in WMP! ) ... and still have/play one of them. The only difference between the Tower and the Powertone is the... strainer! Both drums share the same shell and the same lugs/hoops. ( and we're talking 1964 on here, AFTER the change to Beavertail lugs ) The Powertone has the Swivo-Matic "Permatension Strainer", more commonly referred to as the elongated "Clockface", and the Tower has the Sta-Tite strainer, a bit of a lower model strainer, but not in it's operation/function. Thus, the Tower snare drum was priced lower than the Powertone. Amazing really as the Tower is the exact same drum otherwise!

I do gig on mine here and there... it's an excellent sounding drum! And why not... it's a Powertone with a different strainer!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the info!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here