Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Rogers 60s holiday drums - web site question

[indent][indent]Hi. I have a set of Rogers 60s holiday drums.I have #s in the drums but I don,t know how to get the dates. Can you help me?

snare :19091

tom :19616

floor tom :59612

bass drum :19181[/indent][/indent]

Posted on 19 years ago

The numbers on the stickers inside the drum really aren't the best way to date Rogers drums. The stickers were not applied in any sort of methodical order. But, there are some ways to check the dating to get you at least into a reasonable range of the years the drums were built:

Look inside at the tags and look for the city named on the tag. There will be three choices: Cleveland, Dayton, Fullerton. As a rough guide, the Cleveland era runs up to around 1965; Dayton from 65-67, and Fullerton after that, give or take a bit.

Also, if the tags are Cleveland, the next thing to look at are the lugs. If the lugs look rectangular with a flat top and flat bottom, they are the earlier B&B lugs that lasted up until around 1964. If the lug has a bit of a "tail" at the bottom, they are the later "beavertail" lugs. The earlier B&B lugs were prone to cracking and those drums do not sell for as much as the beavertail lug drums. Also, the hole spacing for the B&B and Beavertails are different, so you can't put beavertails on a B&B lug drum without drilling to accommodate the beavertail lug.

Also, the interior of the drum is a clue. If the interior is flat gray paint it is likely to be Cleveland. If it is speckled inside then it is Dayton-Fullerton.

Lastly, the hardware is a clue. The swivomatic hardware lasted til around 1972. The swivomatic tom holder is a ball-in-socket type. The swivomatic floor tom leg mounts are called "knobby" units and attach with four screws and have a "cap" that locks onto the leg and is tightened with two small rods that the drum key tightens. The bracket for a shell mounted cymbal L arm is almost identical to the FT leg bracket. The BD spurs used a collet with a "T"-like screw-on holder and the spurs were hexagonal rods. After 1972 Rogers moved onto the Memriloc era for hardware. This hardware was larger and more tube-like, and had memory position locks on it. The BD spurs were tubular too. Very different from swivomatic hardware.

Hope this helps some.

Steve

Posted on 19 years ago
Action Another action Something else here