Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Rogers 360 snare

Anyone know anything about these snares? I need to get a new head before I can play it. Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about these snares...

Posted on 14 years ago

I had one and as I recall it was made in Japan and not worth much.

70s Slingy WMP
70s Ludwig Standard Aqua Mist
60s Ludwig Champagne Sparkle Downbeat
and a whole bunch of snares and hardware
Posted on 14 years ago

Actually, the 360's are the Yamaha components of the Rogers line from the 60's. I didn't know squat about them ten years ago. What I've learned is they were very well built and sound pretty good. They are not the run of the mill MIJ's. They usually go for a substantial bit more than most MIJ's.

Posted on 14 years ago

I knew a guy who had a set in the early 70's and I liked them. My understanding was that they were Rogers econo line but still nice.

Posted on 14 years ago

I have always thought that Rogers should have named the R-360 the "SuperEight" snare drum... specifically the first run EARLY models that debuted in the late 60's and through the early 70's, probably no later than 1973 or so. I had a chance to pick one of these up a few years back although being the "high end only" Rogers guy I am, I had never given them any attention... until I actually saw one and was able to inspect it closely... I bought it!... and I still have it, plus I picked up it's "brother" which is slightly later manufacture and features only ONE CHANGE on the entire drum. Here's what I found:

I say thay should have called it the "SuperEight" because it's a COS shell and seems to match perfectly to my early Rogers "Superten" shell... hmmm ... Rogers Beavertail lugs, same as on the upper line snare drums... hmmmm .... Rogers #383 Bantam Strainer/butt that was also used on the 6 lug Luxor snare drum... hmmmmmm .... and COS hoops, same as on the "Superten". Is this an entry level snare drum????!!!! LOL!! The only thing that really "looks" like an import on this drum is the muffler/tone control. The exterior knob and inside mechanisim are pure import, otherwise, this is a Rogers snare drum!! Made by license/agreement with Yamaha for sure, but American Rogers parts, save the tone control. These FIRST RUN R-360's are very nice snare drums... in essence a "SuperTen" less two lugs and no Rogers script badging, and of course different tone control as mentioned prior. Neither of mine had badges of any kind either. How does it sound?...

GREAT!!!!! Tunes up easily... great sensitivity... and that slightly "warmer" sound that COS delivers as opposed to the brightness of COB, brass being almost bell-like in it's clarity. I have gigged it... I had to!! LOL! Great 8 lug COS snare drum with 99.9% Rogers parts, again on the FIRST RUN/EARLY R-360's only as the later 360's and 380's are NOT the same drum... not even close. The difference between them is very easy to discern. Now, what was that difference between the two early R-360's that I mentiond...

The 2nd generation R-360's feature the Joe Thompson designed and patented lug which was taken over by CBS when they bought Rogers. Some refer to this lug as the "Duplex" lug as it showed up on "Duplex" model drums which Grossman Music produced after selling Rogers to CBS. It is a CAST lug... hearty and not cheap pot metal. This lug is the only difference between the two R-360's that were built by Yamaha for Rogers back in the late 60's early 70's. I have both these models so it was neat to do the comparison's both visually and aurally. Needless to say, they both sound identical. So!...

If this is the model R-360 you see available somewhere, buy it! They're almost always CHEAP in price, but EXPENSIVE in sound and build quality, especially for a pure "entry level" snare drum.

I have pics, and I'll try to get them up at some point. Hope this was of help!

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

Here are some pics of my Rogers R-360 that is the 2nd version yet still EARLY as the drum features the nice COS shell... the Joe Thompson patented CAST "Duplex" lugs... Rogers #383 Bantam Strainer/butt... and Rogers COS hoops. The build/parts quality on this era Rogers R-360 is quite high as the pictures will attest. As mentioned, I also have the first run model that is identical to this one except for the real nice Beavertail lugs. I haven't ever taken any pics of that drum but will in the future. It is in the same beautiful condition as this one though. Soooo....

Should you happen by one of these from this era/year and all parts are present with everything in nice condition, I would say grab it. You will be truly amazed at how nice these can sound!

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

Mine looks just like your pics (but not as clean) I'm going to clean it up and try it out before passing it on. Thanks for all the information!

Posted on 14 years ago

Gretsch!...

I wanted to add that when I bought this drum, it didn't look this way either. I had to do a complete restore/polish on it as the shell was pretty bad actually. Another small bit of proof that these EARLY Rogers R-360's are built from good stock. My Beavertail model has the same great chrome. The chrome plating is just very good on these. I think you will be quite surprised at how nice these drums play/sound! Truly... Rogers should have named these the "SuperEight" !

Tommyp

Wanted to mention again that neither of mine had/have badging of any kind, nor was there an area that telegraphed the fact that there ever was a badge of any kind. Interesting.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here