Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Rogers 14 Inch Floor Toms

I currently own several 14 inch floor toms that are parts of complete kits that I purchased through the years.

I realize that the 14 inch toms seem to be valued more than the more common 16 inch versions. However, some of the prices they're currently bringing are a bit mind boggling.

I recently noticed a Rogers 14 inch floor tom in a Black Diamond Pearl

RE-WRAP finish that sold for in excess of $711.00. I can only imagine what the same drum in Rogers original BDP finish might have brought in return.

It appears that the vintage Rogers 14 inch toms bring more in return than those manufactured by the other American drum manufacturers, would you agree? If so, could this be due to the scarcity of Rogers' manufactured floor toms in this configuration?

The other issue I've been trying to figure out is whether certain finishes of the Rogers' drums bring more in return than others? I've been told by some Rogers' "gurus" that the BDP finish is not highly sought after by most collectors yet, as mentioned above, the 14 inch BDP "re-wrap" did very well for itself. This begs the question, does the wrap actually make a difference when contemplating a sale?

I happen to have a Rogers 14 inch Red Onyx Floor Tom (Cleveland era) and, for whatever reason, never seem to see many of these being offered. Is this finish considered somewhat rare? Is there a reason or reasons I can't find many of these on the net?

As usual, any and all "words of wisdom" would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS in advance for your time and your help!

Posted on 15 years ago

You hit the nail on the head when you referenced the lack of 14's in most Rogers setups. They just didn't put out a lot of 14 inch floors. So, the lack of them has run the price up a bit. People are clamoring for what is hot at the moment. Honestly, it's just a bubble. This too shall pass. Those that have paid in excess of 800 to a thousand bucks for a single 14 inch floor will be kicking themselves in about two years (maybe three) when that same floor tom will be going for just a couple of hundred. Radio King was the name to buy ten or so years ago. You can't give them away now. They go for a hundred a tom and a handful for a snare. These same drums went for thousands. At that time Rogers were the ones being given away. The value just wasn't there. So, Rogers is up now. It will go down. Move if you want to sell. I wouldn't buy right now. It just isn't worth it. I picked up a Ludwig 14 inch floor recently for about a hundred dollars. It's in near perfect condition. The other Ludwig 14 inch floors on ebay are going for between 300 and 500 bucks. Those are starting to climb again. Everybody wants a Downbeat, now. Gotta have that Luddy 14 inch floor. Meanwhile, Slingerland 14 inch floors are going for a bit over a hundred. Something to think about.

Posted on 15 years ago

Yep, Rogers 14 floor toms are hot right now.

The same thing applies (even more so) to Ludwig Jazzette bass drums. They offered them, but didn't apparently make too many. And there wasn't the interest in them when they were new, so there were few orders to fill. Now, after the fact, these rare birds are more desirable than ever.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

You have a red onyx 14" floor tom?!?! AND it is Cleveland??? How cool. That is a color that I would label rare and on a rare size... And a rare era. ULTRA rare would be a Ripple, Gold sparkle, Green sparkle or Mardi Gras.

We would love to see pictures of your kits. Sounds like you have some amazing stuff.

Mcjnic, Are you sure it is a fad that these rare toms are going for so much? I have haven't seen a vintage slingerland bearing edge that looks like a swivo era bearing edge. It seems like the quality of script Rogers will insure that they will only go up in value. I haven't been around as long as some so I might be proven wrong.

IH

Posted on 15 years ago

A fad infers a disregard for quality with the focus on mass appeal. Rogers ARE quality. Therefore they do not fall within the realm of fad. This is in reference to the drum market. I've watched it for lots of years from afar and had NO intention of getting involved until this year. It was time to change kits and approach. The vintage drum market fluctuates quite a bit over time. What was is not and what was not is...if you follow. A pet rock was a fad. There was no inherent value in it. Rogers drums are definitely not a fad. The market for said drums has gone from almost nil to an all time high. We have peaked. It has already started its descent. It's the nature of a free market. Things rise and fall at the whims of demand. This has run its course and over the next couple of years we will see a marked decline in demand and price (one follows the other). It has priced itself out. We saw it with old Slingerland Radio King kits and with Gretsch round badge kits and others. You can nab a Gretsch RB Kit for under a thousand these days. Check ebay on the prices of completed auctions. You will see that the ones marked buyitnow for several thousand have not sold. The toms and basses sell for a couple of hundred each. Two years ago, you couldn't touch a RB bass for under a thousand. That's the way markets go. What was is not. Some things hold their value better than others. Old Black Beauties will always demand a decent price (but even that has dropped a bit).

So, yes, Rogers 14 inch floor toms will drop in price over the next couple of years. No doubt.

Posted on 15 years ago

Have they not already dropped in price? Were they not going for $1200-$1500 two years ago?

Posted on 15 years ago

From watching auctions I have noticed that re-wraps in rare sizes will sometimes do very well. The only theory I can come up with is you can now wrap the drum in the color of your choice "guilt free" since someone else already ripped off the original wrap.

Also EBAY is rather fickle (as always), I was watching an auction last month of a Ludwig SBP Keystone 14x14 shell that had been painted day glo orange and it sold for hair under $300. It was missing everything- no lugs, leg mounts, rims, badge, or muffler.

You could have probably spent $150 more and gotten a complete drum sans paint on EBAY.

But that is the fun of EBAY- you never know what is going to happen!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here