Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Rogers 12" 5 lug calf reso.

Well hope I haven't caused major harm.

Stopped when uncovered the badge.

Lots of coats of paint everywhere. Red enamel, black/gold, white. The reso calf head has at least 2 coats of paint on it???. Tone enhancement I guess.

First question is should I try and take each coat off and attempt to sort what was original? It appears white is the base color but could have been just a primer.

Rim is broken at the seam. Still had a killer sound when I banged on it a bit today

Thanks for any help!!

Creighton

5 attachments
77.7 kB
71.9 kB
53.8 kB
75.9 kB
41.4 kB
Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 11 years ago

Man that's a cool drum Creighton!! Nice score you made there and on the other things. You have been getting a lot of 5 lug drums too!!! Very cool stuff. See ya.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

From Creighton

First question is should I try and take each coat off and attempt to sort what was original? It appears white is the base color but could have been just a primer.Thanks for any help!!Creighton

I have a Leedy (tacked-on reso head) floor tom that went through a similar, three coat "refinishing" during its long life. From the layers of paint over the badge, I figured the original finish had to be the color under the badge. Sure enough, the drum was white under the badge confirming that white had to be the original factory finish as the badge/grommet was never removed or altered. Maybe this helps with your Rogers tom.

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 11 years ago

Just posted last night a Daisy Brand snare in the original Duco White that your tom was prob. original. Corvette polo white is close. Auction number 271226487055. Under the badge should tell it true. Those lugs weren't made for very long. Only offered for a few years-early 50s. For restoration inspiration here is the 1953 cat. page for it *complete*:

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks all.

Off course look under the badge. Getting old sucks :-)

Gary N, My hardware is the same as your auction snare. Don't see a 12" x 9 1/2" in the 1953 catalog list.

What was the third color for the Black/Gold tri tone?

Will post some new pics when the sun comes up.

Creighton

Posted on 11 years ago

Yes black and gold duco is on the list. Blue/silver duco is also shown on other pages. The pearl was mainly wmp and it yellows drasticly over time. They would do anything upon request in any color. If it measures 12" to take a 12 inch head then it is listed as 8"x12" on that list. I have a Rogers Union Brand Jr. marching drum that should be 8x14 and it is 7 1/2ish" by 14." Stock edges top and bottom. In this era on the lower end stuff the shells varied a bit. If the pic was enlarged you would see the little, dot drawn in, cap for the interior brace in those lugs. Not a busy sales time, those years with these lugs, for Rogers. Cool tom that I'm glad is being restored.

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the information.

Gold and black under the outer muffler plate. Making very slow progress on the paint removal.

Anyone know what kind of wood the outer ply is?

Creighton

1 attachments
65.2 kB
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here