Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Roger XPK8 and R380 kit

Hello fellow drummers,

I am currently thinking about buying a full Rogers kit but before I do I was hoping for some advice. The kit is the XPK8 and the series is R380. The drum sizes are 8,10,12,13,16 and 22" with a dynasonic snare. I'm looking for a year of the drums which I believe to be about 1980 and would they be considered a good investment as a vintage kit. Some of my research leads me to believe these drums were made by Yamaha and may not be the best quality and tone. The kit is in almost new condition and include all the original mounts and hardware. Are the R380/XPK8 kits worth around a thousand or should I shop for an older Rogers kit? I included a photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Great set of drums.

They were produced early in the XP8 series. 1979 or possibly 81. , as witnessed by the placement of the Big R badge in the panel next to the mount, and the Badges have serial numbers. The majority of 1980 drums wore badges without serial numbers. Later XP8 drums were produced with the badge located 180 degrees opposing the mount, this is the normal thing we expect to see in this era. Shells are eight ply keller maple, the drums were produced in Fullerton CA at the Rogers Drums USA plant. They have no connection to Yamaha nor R360 series drums. The Dynasonic is a Chrome over Brass. jThe dynasonic is an 83 or 84 model, it has the green felts. They are an excellent kit. I would like to see some close ups on the 8 and 10....... the badge and the inside. They look different. Not sure exactly what those are.

You will not be disappointed.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

If it says Rogers USA on the badge, they were made in USA. Some of Rogers best shells. If the small concert toms badges say R380, those are likely Yamaha shells. (Nice eye Ploughman - didn't notice that at first.)

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey guys,

That's great info, I wish I'd found this forum earlier!! I've included pictures of the small toms......I hope they aren't Yamahas!!

Thanks Vince182

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

The 8 and 10 are indeed the R360 line, built by Yamaha. Not bad drums by any means, count it as an addition to the set. The set, the XP8 drums, are very worthy drums.

Like I said, you wont be disappointed in the drums. Provided theyve been well cared for, not modified, and are in good condition.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here