Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

RK glass sparkle topcoat repair?

I just got my hands on a 30's? radio king floor tom. It has a really cool faded green(with nice yellowing)glass sparkle wrap. On part of the drum the green is gone (pealed off or disintegrated) but the glass sparkle is still there (plain colorless glass) and in great shape.. At first I was going to rewrap this, but I love the faded green look, and I'd like to put some thing over the bare exposed glass to blend n with the green. Any suggestions on what material I can use? Can I tint a liquid poly of sorts?...Am I embarking on a no win situation? any experience with messing with the chemistry of the wrap top color coat? Any suggestions will be appreciated, Thanks

Posted on 11 years ago

> tint a liquid poly

That's the logical/intuitive approach. I'm really not sure how the poly would interact with one of those old wraps. May do more harm than good.

A good guy to contact and ask this question to would be Mike Curotto. You won't find a more knowledgeable person about antique/vintage drums than, Mike. I wouldn't touch the drum until I had consulted an expert that I trust.

Sounds like a great drum, hope you can get it restored.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

ive been doing a glaze over with a clear coat and powder pigment u can control intensity and with many applications you should achieve varied results, practice on scrap if can, once u get a technique down, now in the restorers world of glazes we dont call this a fat glaze, its more of a wash !

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 11 years ago

Sounds promising. Are there any particular brands/products you have used that are "safe" not to make things worse. So many products out there! and have you covered entire wraps with this poly (clear on the rest) to keep the sheen consistent?

Posted on 11 years ago

Lets see some pics...

Posted on 11 years ago

Here are some pics...wish I can buy some wrap like this (already aged nicely)..

4 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Wilco - You might want to consider leaving the drum alone and simply turning the damaged side to the rear of the drum/away from the sight of the audience if you gig the kit.

I have been an oil painter all my life (see photo for proof of my statement, -there is one joker around here who loves to call into question just about any comment I make...) and I'm telling you it would take an experienced hand to match the color of the drum perfectly. Any mismatch is only going to make it worse, more conspicuous. Sometimes, with certain rare old drums, it's better just to leave things as they are. I'd have trouble matching that color dead-on and I know what I'm doing. Let her be. Turn that side towards the back and nobody will be the wiser. Best to leave it original than spoil it with a near miss color-wise. Shades of Blue, or Green, are the hardest colors to nail dead-on.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

it wouldn't be the end of the world if I left it as is, but I would like to make it uniform if I can, and most of all I'm curious as to how this wrap was made, and what type of materials can bond to it. I love doing research, and what better place to start than this forum. Anyone ever try any particular products on glass sparkle?

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here