Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Riviera Drum kit 1969

Hi,

I have been given a set of riviera drums and there was a note that said that they were bought second hand back in 1969 for $340 and I am trying to find out any information on whether they are rare and worth anything if I was to sell them

any assistance would be great

cheers

ZenWindow Denver CO
Posted on 9 years ago

You are going to have to shoot some good revealing pics and load them up here before we can help you out at all. Capture the lug design, tom mounting, floor tom leg mounts, snare strainer, etc. - as well as a shot of one of the interior of one of the shells.

If we can see that, it should be quite easy to tell you quite a bit about it. I suspect it is Made in Japan by either Star or Pearl, but we can become much more specific once we see pics. Any info detailing how complete and original it is can help too.

Thanks,

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 9 years ago

I,ve seen a few kits and they are the ones that gave MIJ drums a bad rap. They are poorly made and deserve the term "firewood".....sorry.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 9 years ago

I heard this kit yesterday at the Dutch Vintage Drum Meeting and it sounded very very good:

[IMG]https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFgxMDI0/z/XrcAAOSwY3BZKxd7/$_85.JPG[/IMG]

www.musiqoundsproductions.com
Posted on 7 years ago

@musiqman: that's a nice wrap. I totally forgot about the DVDM :eek:, maybe next year.

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello Jacobthomas

I agree with John that pictures are worth a thousand words

The nice looking Riviera kit pictured above was made by Hoshino (no connection to Star)

a second hand 1969 price of $340.00 for any Japanese stencil kit seems crazy high

unless of course there were some vintage pies in the deal as well

Posted on 7 years ago

I had a Riviera snare drums some years back. I loved the wrap and should have kept the drum for my collection!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

The thing with these MIJ drums is that some of them sometimes sound good, but

that's only after redoing the bearing edges, and sanding and lacquering the inside of the shells to

give them "more life".. Proper tuning and good heads are also a factor..

You won't get much for that kit, even if it is in great condition..$200-275 max..

Certain MIJ kits can fetch $400-500, but those are brands like Star, Stewart, (pre Tama) and vintage,

pre-70's Pearl, and that's in very good or mint condition..

You'll have to post pics to give you an idea of the value.

cheers,

Rob

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here