Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ringo was wrong! Or was he?

After recently buying my 1969 Ringo kit, I continue to see the original Walberg and Auge drum anchor that Ringo used, being consistently displayed incorrectly.Upon closer look (one would have to be blind) at photos of Ringos kit, it's obvious that the rubber tips, not the pointed spikes point upwards.

I never really quite understood the function of the rubber tips, other than to protect the head, even though they don't really come close to the head unless it's improperly installed. I even had to reassemble my anchor when I received it from a purchase on Ebay.

I just find it very interesting that fellow drummers spend so much time and

money trying to duplicate this kit, that they totally miss this detail.

I would love to hear other comments or opinions.

Posted on 15 years ago

I'm not a Ringo collector or Ringo expert, but I can say that I have been in some really nice places with very nice wood floors. So when there was no rug underneath the drums for whatever reason I always made sure any of my stands or hardware that had rubber tips and spikes were set so the rubber was on the floor.

I remember once scratching someones tile floor with the spikes and it was not very nice!

So that is the reason you have an option on many types of hardware to either use rubber or spikes. The spikes will even go through carpet and if you are on a very high end floor, you will be paying to have it repaired!

At least that is what I think the option is for.

:2Cents:

Ringo on the other hand probably never needed to care about that!

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Understood. My only point is that most drummers displaying not playing have the anchor opposite from Ringos.

Posted on 15 years ago

actually I'm from the youngest beatles tribute band and I have a lot of research on what his kits are like and hardware, and I have to say that people do put it the wrong way if they're a beatles collector. my tribute band just started

Posted on 15 years ago

Just to diverge a slight bit...I carry a roll of duck tape in my hardware bag for the purpose of putting it down under the spikes. It helps protect the floor of the club I am playing, and gives my hardware a little extra to grip into. I do it for the bass pedal, and hi hat stand. I try to keep my bass anchor at home, or use only use it when there is a rug.

I have never damaged a floor using this method, and none of my stands creep either. A cheap and easily portable alternative to carrying a rug around to every gig (which I did for years, and is not fun)

In my punk rock days, a cinder block was commonly found on stage, which prevented the bass drum from sliding. I always thought it was very excesive, but I guess it is what some drummers needed.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 15 years ago

Ummmm.......two words on the use of spikes and scratching floors: DRUM RUG.

Posted on 15 years ago

that ludwig set Ringo had a Rodges tom mount where the 8x12 mounted.

It was a mismached set , Bill Ludwig sent a Ludwig downbeat model over to England but the set ringo used had the 5x15 wood shell drum in place of the 4x14 downbeat snare, that came with that set.If you look at the later photo of the Beatles ringo up graded to the classic ludwig set in the same color black oyster, but had the larger drum sizes.

bass tom tom snare

downbeat sizes 14x20 8x12 14x14 4x14

classic sizes 14x22 9x13 16x16 5x14

Posted on 15 years ago

Pick up the book Beatles Gear if you want the definitive on who played what and when and if they still have them, etc......good stuff on Pete Best too!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here