Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

RIMS vs. original tom mounts

I'm curious: aesthetics aside, what is everyone's opinion on whether to use RIMS mounts or original tom mounts? Do RIMS mounts really make a difference to a drum's sound?

I ask because I'm re-wrapping a Club Date kit and have reached the moment of truth: do I drill the wrap and put the Ludwig tom mount right on the shell, or leave the wrap untouched and use a RIMS mount?

It's definitely a player's kit. The bass came without the rail mount, and I'm not eager to splash out for one if I can avoid it. I've got a RIMS mount and a tom arm lying around already -- so it's easier to just use the RIMS mount and hang it from a cymbal stand. And the "floor tom" is actually a 12x15 snare that I'm converting. I don't want to drill it for legs, so at least one drum on this kit is going to have a RIMS mount anyway. Right now I'm leaning towards leaving the shells virgin and using RIMS on both the 12" and 15". What's your take?

As always, thanks in advance for the advice!

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 15 years ago

The purist would probably say use the original tom mount, but since it's a player's kit I'm not sure it matters that much. I think the RIMS mounts do sound better. You can always use the RIMS mount for now - then if you find a rail mount at some point or just decide you want to use the original mount, you still have the option to do that.

Posted on 15 years ago

On my 1970 Ludwig Downbeat, I noticed a HUGE difference in the sound of my 12" rack tom when I took off the tom mount. With the RIMS system on, it didn't really increase the resonance *that* noticeably until I took the tom mount off. WOW! What a difference! I would say since yours is a players kit, leave the tom mount off. You can always muffle the sound and alter the tone later with moongel, tape, different heads, etc., but you can't bring back the sound once you've put the mount on (unless, of course, you take it back off, but then you've got holes)...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the advice!

Now, if only they made RIMS mounts in nickel to match the hardware... :)

Kits:
Posted on 15 years ago

That would be nice to have them in nickel, that may be your million dollar idea!

I tell you what, I can't wait to get a RIMS mount on mine after hearing some testimonials; putting it on a snare stand really kills it!

Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah, I put my 13" round badge tom on a snare stand when I first got the kit. It completely killed the sound of the drum. I eventually bought a Pearl ISS mount. They're great mounts -- more stable than RIMS, less visually obtrusive, and easier to remove when you want to put the drum in its case.

Kits:
Posted on 15 years ago

Actually, the Gauger mounts have a finish that's very close to nickel. They call it platinum lustre, but it looks like a nickel finish to me. They're a little more expensive, but it may be worth it to you. Check them out - http://www.gaugerpercussion.com

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the tip! You're right; those would look great with nickel hardware. I can't justify the expense right now, but someday I may upgrade.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to find nickel hoops for my 15" tom. Hard to track down!

Kits:
Posted on 15 years ago

I used those ISS mounts for awhile, but found that on less heavy hoops, it actually bends the hoop slightly and affects the tunign. Of course if your Gretsch has the die cast hoops, probably isn't an issue. The Optimount is supposed to be a bit better.

Posted on 15 years ago

Interesting!

My Gretsch kit is a little older, so I've got stick-choppers rather than die-cast rims. The hoops were a little out of round when I got the kit, so I wouldn't have notice if the ISS mount pulled them a bit further out. But I'd hate to think I've been doing further damage to those vintage hoops! Maybe it's time to switch to a RIMS mount on that drum too. Hmm...

Kits:
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here