Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

rewrapping

Hi, I'm new to the forum and My question is if it is okay to rewrap a vintage drum? I own a keystone Ludwig 14 X 14 floor tom complete. The problem is that it has a crack in the wrap that starts at the badge and almost goes all the way around the drum. It has all the candy and is beautiful aside from that. Any thoughts would be great, Thanks.

Posted on 17 years ago

Funny U should mention...

Lot's of thoughts here:

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3388

Cheers!

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 17 years ago

My advice would be to look into having the crack repaired (if possible). Sometimes, a good craftsman can "inject" some appropriate glue (literally -with a syringe) along the crack and force it back together by lacing some rope "clamps" over the area so that the wrap is flattened out and forced back together.

Your keystone badged drum likely has a 3-ply shell wherein the original wrap has been tucked into the scarf joint of the drum shell, itself. So, there is no way to re-wrap a Ludwig shell of this vintage so that the "evidence" is cleanly hidden. Also, most modern wraps look...well..."new" for lack of a better term. And, considering this, it would therefore behoove you to keep it original -IF you want to keep any kind of collectible value attached to it.

You could always trade it for another one -or sell it and then use the money to buy a clean drum....but re-wrapping a keystone badge Ludwig drum is pretty much the end of the road for it to a collector.

Is it possible that you could post some pictures of the drum in question? It makes it easier to get a reference on things.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

My advice would be to look into having the crack repaired (if possible). Sometimes, a good craftsman can "inject" some appropriate glue (literally -with a syringe) along the crack and force it back together by lacing some rope "clamps" over the area so that the wrap is flattened out and forced back together. Your keystone badged drum likely has a 3-ply shell wherein the original wrap has been tucked into the scarf joint of the drum shell, itself. So, there is no way to re-wrap a Ludwig shell of this vintage so that the "evidence" is cleanly hidden. Also, most modern wraps look...well..."new" for lack of a better term. And, considering this, it would therefore behoove you to keep it original -IF you want to keep any kind of collectible value attached to it.You could always trade it for another one -or sell it and then use the money to buy a clean drum....but re-wrapping a keystone badge Ludwig drum is pretty much the end of the road for it to a collector. Is it possible that you could post some pictures of the drum in question? It makes it easier to get a reference on things.

Thanks O-lugs,

I didn't know about the tuck in the shell. With that in mind I checked the shell and found out that it's not the original wrap. So it's the re-wrap that has 1/4 inch splits in it. So I guess that drum isn't worth much. Would it be worth selling off the legs and the baseball muffler. If it's not worth much to a collector then I'll keep it and re-wrap it. It sounds great, I had the bearing edges tightened up by one of the best edge guys that I know. Thanks for the reply.

Posted on 17 years ago

Yeah! there's no sin in re-wrapping a re-wrap! ;)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here