Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Rewrapping with Aluminum Flashing - cheap!

Hey everybody, some of this information is repeated from another thread, but I thought I would post a dedicated one in case anyone's searching for it later.

I purchased a set of old Pearl fiberglass drums recently, and my plan was to leave them to their natural fiberglass look (a poor man's Blaemire if you will), but a couple of the drums had extra holes. After trying unsuccessfully to make a fiberglass resin that cosmetically matched to fill the holes, I filled them anyway, and decided to rewrap or paint.

I went to the hardware store and checked out roof flashing, as I've seen on this forum before. It comes in 10' and 50' rolls, and you can get various widths up to 24" wide. Some of the rolls were natural aluminum on one side and a gold-tinted aluminum on the other.

I opted for the normal aluminum. It cuts easily with a decent pair of kitchen scissors and as long as you take your time, it is pretty easy to work with. Very thin!

I bought enough material to wrap a 14x24", 10x14", 16x16" and 16x18" plus a snare for less than $60 including tape!

Normal rewrap rules apply. Put the seam under a set of lugs. I used strips of 3M double-sided tape to adhere the wrap to the shell, and it went on quite nicely with a little setup time and patience. I trimmed the wrap to about 1/4" less than the drum depth to leave a little room for the heads to seat, and left about 1" of overlap to make sure I could really stick it down.

I drilled out the holes from inside the drum, with the outside of the drum pressed on a block of wood to avoid any weirdness with the holes.

And that's really about it. It looks FANTASTIC and totally appropriate for Pearl drums of this era - would work well aesthetically with any drums from the late 70s/early 80s. I will post more photos once it's all complete, but here's a start.

If you have been looking for a wrap solution for those old cheap kits where using real wrap isn't financially feasible, this is a great option.

Will post more photos soon!

3 attachments
------------------------------------------------
"I've met cats and dogs smarter than Cory and Trevor."
Posted on 7 years ago

DrumOgre!

Your kit came out great! I've heard of others using this material and the results look excellent. Thanks for sharing your experience and providing pictures!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks Mark,

I honestly was reluctant to do it because I'm usually pretty bad at measuring and cutting things, and lack the patience to do things carefully - but this was easy. And it was cheap, so I wasn't worried about destroying the wrap material like I would be using the real stuff.

Ken

------------------------------------------------
"I've met cats and dogs smarter than Cory and Trevor."
Posted on 7 years ago

I'd thought about using flashing too.

You can buy copper flashing for about $45 a sheet.

Posted on 7 years ago

Great job on the rewrap. They look fantastic. Love 'em!

Posted on 7 years ago

Excellent idea! I make my living making drum wrap but I still dig this!

http://compactdrums.com/

http://walopus.com/
Posted on 7 years ago

From pgm554

I'd thought about using flashing too.You can buy copper flashing for about $45 a sheet.

Copper would oxidize over time though, which may be a cool effect but if you don't want that you can always seal it.

http://compactdrums.com/

http://walopus.com/
Posted on 7 years ago

I've got a Pearl copper FF and I guess if you don't want the statue of liberty green appearance,a coat of lacquer is in order.

Posted on 7 years ago

you need to put 3 or 4 coats of lacquer on that

Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 7 years ago

You know, if you wanted to get more extreme on this idea, you could anodize it and dye different colors too. Of course the cost of getting into anodizing to be able to do it would negate any simple-ness out of the equation, but if you already had an anodizing setup, it might be an interesting experiment (lots of home-brew anodizing going on out there). Anodizing adds a drastically higher level of durability to the aluminum surface as well, which can't hurt.

The trick for drum wraps is that larger surface area requires larger power supplies, and there is an awful lot of surface area on a drum wrap compared to a little flashlight.

You can anodize several colors to the same surface too, so the possibilities are vast. (this example is called "splash anodizing")

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/yaesumofo/aaanidizedmags/aaannocropedmultismcr.jpg[/img]

Neat idea DrumOgre - it's out of the box.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here