Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

rewrapping 101

I would like to know a little about re wrapping drums, I have never done it, and from what I call tell not many do it around here, if their a guide/book that helps one learn, and what tools are needed, I was going to buy a cheap drum and experiment a little...but I need some guideance from the pros here.

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 14 years ago

slingerland, george lawrence has a good piece on it, you have to go to not so modern drummer magazine web site for it, but is very informative

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Re-wrapping a drum is a fairly simple job. There are two schools of thought here on the forum, leave it alone as it "devalues" the drum, and rewrap it if it is too far gone. I fall somewhere between the two. If its original and rare and in good shape, then I leave it be. If its too far gone, or they were orphans and I want a kit to match, then I'll rewrap. I take it on a case by case basis. I personally think that in MOST cases a re-wrap job done properly actually INCREASES the value of a vintage drum. If the original wrap was in bad shape or you have collected a few orphan drums in different colors and you want them to match, then rewrapping is ok in my book.

The process is fairly simple....the easier method is the double sided tape method, but I don't feel its as quality a job as the contact adhesive method. I've done both methods and from now on will only use contact adhesive to bond the wrap to the shell. Its no more hard a job than wallpapering or bonding new countertop.

Posted on 14 years ago

I suppose I should start a new thread, but what do you guys use to remove the glue from say, a late 70's Ludwic calssic 6-ply shell. The glue has never hardened. It just has stayed "gummy" for lack of a better term. I've tried sanding, but that just seems to burn thru paper and doesn't remove much of the glue. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

From latzanimal

I suppose I should start a new thread, but what do you guys use to remove the glue from say, a late 70's Ludwic calssic 6-ply shell. The glue has never hardened. It just has stayed "gummy" for lack of a better term. I've tried sanding, but that just seems to burn thru paper and doesn't remove much of the glue. Any suggestions?Thanks...

I got some stuff from Home Depot about a year ago for removing contact adhesive....its a paste, almost like paint stripper. I forget the name, but it is a contact adhesive remover. Works quite well, BUT.....you need to use it in a WELL ventilated area.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Ludwig-dude

I got some stuff from Home Depot about a year ago for removing contact adhesive....its a paste, almost like paint stripper. I forget the name, but it is a contact adhesive remover. Works quite well, BUT.....you need to use it in a WELL ventilated area.

I have a stripper for contact cement (got it at ACE), which worked great for the old Slingy kit I am doing, but not so much on the 'wigs. In fact, it dried out the outer ply and caused it to crack a bit in the section I tried it on....

I don't know what it is about this glue. I am tempted to take the heat gun back to it to heat up what I can, scrape, and then deal with what's left....

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

It always surprises me how many wraps from the manufacturers are taped, for cost I am sure. Tape is cheaper than glue. I've rewrapped some older MIJ shells and used tape due to the variances in the outer ply. Glueing would have been disasterous in trying to get the wrap aligned.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here