Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Rewrapped Hayman kit

For those interested, here's a shot of a recovered Hayman kit. I've gigged with the set often since acquiring it back in 1995.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Looks nice,Is that a pre -aged wrap?Those have to be pretty scarce in the U.S,how and where did you find them?

Posted on 14 years ago

I bought these from Thoroughbred Music in Florida sight unseen. Back in the 90's, they cleared out used and trade item stock---including lots of vintage items. I think they used NSMD's subscriber directory for a flyer mailout.

The drums came to me already recovered with some yellowing of what appears to be a similar covering to Premier's or Precision Percussion's small chip WMP, except the snare which was a COW re-wrap. Some gigs since have added to the "bar tan." Interiors have original poly coating. All hardware is correct except the badge grommets and the floor tom legs, which are 70's Ludwig.

These drums sound terrific--lots of highs for cutting and lows for oompf, except the 13" tom when tuned lower (might be too heavy for the small surface area of the mounting bracket causing stress to the shell).

BTW, the hi-hat stand (in great condition, but not too sporty for playing) is for sale.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I am diggin' that hybrid rail consolette rack mount...that is awesome !

How many plys are the shells ???[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

That's the much maligned original "knucklebuster" double tom mount that Hayman supplied. They also had a Model 2232 single tom mount that was similar.

I'm not actually certain of the number of plies in Hayman shells, although I've read they are actually Carlton shells. Maybe someone else here can tell us.

Posted on 14 years ago

That's so cool. I used to love visiting Thoroughbred music. It was next to a California Pizza place that made some interesting stuff. I also used to teach at Resurrection Drums around Boca. That was next to a Cuban shop where I got some of the best food and coffee. I always took my son and he loved it 'cause we hung all day and ate like kings. Dang. I miss those shops. I wish I had been privy to that blowout. Cool stuff.

Posted on 14 years ago

Are you-all talking about the original Thoroughbred Music in Tampa?I LIVED at that place!I think the percussion guy's name was A.J.-Then they moved to a supermarket building.Never saw so many sets on one floor-had to be 25 or 30.

Posted on 14 years ago

Yep, I dealt with Thoroughbred Music in Tampa.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here