Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Rewrap opinions??

I am refinishing a late 70's 6 ply Pro Beat kit I recently purchased. The previous owner had already bought the correct WMP wrap because the original SBP wrap was shot. I have finished wrapping the shells and am coming down the home stretch on the chrome cleaning.

Here's my question; the bass drum hoop inlays are still in good shape, as is the hoops. Perhaps some touch up needed, that's it. I was thinking about leaving the SBP inlays alone as a tribute to the kits original color.

So leave it SBP, or go ahead and use the WMP inlays?

Drum Kits
1965 Ludwig Clubdate Oyster Blue
1966 Ludwig Clubdate Oyster Black
1969 Ludwig BB Blue Oyster Keystone Clubdate
1971 Ludwig BB Black Oyster
Early 60's Camco Oaklawns Champagne Sparkle
Posted on 7 years ago

If they are in good shape I'd leave them. Could always end up doing the WMP down the road if you really wanted.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

I agree with Jay...Leave them be...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 7 years ago

Leave it;-)

regards

Christian

Posted on 7 years ago

i like to match inlays with the drums. I always respray the wood hoops as well for a quick refresh....

Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 7 years ago

Somewhere there is a guy that needs those SBP inlay hoops. So offer them up for trade for ones that actually need new inlays. I know, I had a SBP hoop for a long, I hung on to it until one day a member needed one so I gave it to him. Your kit is re wrapped anyway so even brand new hoops would work. Original is only original once.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 7 years ago

From jccabinets

Somewhere there is a guy that needs those SBP inlay hoops. So offer them up for trade for ones that actually need new inlays. I know, I had a SBP hoop for a long, I hung on to it until one day a member needed one so I gave it to him. Your kit is re wrapped anyway so even brand new hoops would work. Original is only original once.

I agree with Jeff on this. Since you've already re-wrapped the drums, get some nice new hoops to go with them. There is probably a buyer out there who would be thrilled to get some original hoops with SBP inlay to complete a kit. While my first thought would be to go with black hoops with inlay, I've also seen clear maple hoops with WMP inlay that looks great, too!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

Well, since the hoops are original to the kit, I'm keeping them with it rather than spend extra on hoops. I've done the touch up and should have the kit completed Wednesday. Left the SBP inlays alone.

BTW - it is not my opinion that rewrapping a kit spoils it in any way. When done properly, I think it's an improvement!

Here's the 12" tom:

1 attachments
Drum Kits
Posted on 7 years ago

Beautiful job! Looks great!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 7 years ago

Finished drum kit, what do you think? The inlays are perfect to me, just a hint of the Sky Blue Pearl.

Drum Kits
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here