Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Restoring Slingerland -73 drumkit

My Slingerland -73 drumkit has been stored in a corner of my garage for over 15 years. Finally, I decided to start playing again. DOH Problem is, the drums are in a terrible shape. 20 yers ago I made a first stupid mistake by lending the drums to the son of one of my best friends.(we are no longer friends). When he returned the the drums, after a couple of years, they where dirty, scratched, pieces where missing, the snare was dented (at least three large dents), one of my old Zildjans was missing and all of the the drumheads where worn out. I was so dissapointed that I just stacked all the drums in corner of my garage. This was my second mistake. It turned out that this particulary corner of the garage was pretty damp. All of the hardware has rusted -a lot! So now I am faced with the problem of not only repairing the drums but I also have to deal with very rusty hardware. Sigh..... Well, this is how I started. I decided to start with my snare.-Dissesembeld all the hardware, put all the parts in Spirit vinegar to get rid of the rust and then I polished all the parts with Turtle Super Cleaner before applying a cote of Car Wax. Next step was to get rid of the dents. I used a rubber hammer, a lot patience and a very much swearing before I was done. Well, here is the result. Maybe not perfect, but at least good enough for now (I may give it another try when I'm finished with the toms and bass drum later this year.

/Johan M

4 attachments
70's Slingerland, 13,14,18,24" Copper wrap
70's Pearl Wood/fiberglass 12,13,13,14,16,18,22,24" Red
70's Pearl Fiberglass shells 12,13,16, 22" White
70's Hayman, 13,14,16,22" Black
60's Hoshino, 13,16,20" WMP
2009 Ludwig element, 10,12,13,16,22" Orange
Posted on 14 years ago

we all make mistakes..

I bought a old ludwig that had a similair problem.. I used rust remover and polished the parts alot.. Rust remover can make wonders if you're lucky.. It's alot of job, but those slingerland's could look much better..

Posted on 14 years ago

Very nice job on that snare.And a nice size drum,too.Just about everything you'll need is available from Ebay or Drummaker.com-even sticksaver rims.Good luck and post your progress!

Posted on 14 years ago

Thank for your input guys!

Next question: I have already decided that you are right about the yellow colour inside my drums, it was propably painted by the former owner and has to come off. But what do you think about rewrapping the drums. As you can see the drums are badly scratched and in picture #2 you can see that I tried to polish the dark staines in the center of the picture, with the result that the staines instead of being darker than the copper wrap, turned into being lighter than the wrap. I am a bit hesitant as I would like to keep the drums in original shape. On the other hand I wery much would like them to look as good as possible. I know that they aren't that valuable but I dont want to make them to become totally worthless either. In picture #4 you can see that the wrap is almost falling off the drum by itself. I've been told that rewrapping them in copper is really hard and that I should consider using another wrap, matching drums from the same year instead. Please give me some advice on this!

/ Johan M

4 attachments
70's Slingerland, 13,14,18,24" Copper wrap
70's Pearl Wood/fiberglass 12,13,13,14,16,18,22,24" Red
70's Pearl Fiberglass shells 12,13,16, 22" White
70's Hayman, 13,14,16,22" Black
60's Hoshino, 13,16,20" WMP
2009 Ludwig element, 10,12,13,16,22" Orange
Posted on 14 years ago

I tried to refinish(strip) a chrome over wood Slingerland floor tom,and unless you have unbelievable patience,you'll end up pulling plies out of the exterior.Heat gun and an inch(really)at a time.Any rush and you are doomed-

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here