Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Restoring Satin Flame

I recently had the good fortune of purchasing a 60's Camco kit in Charcoal Satin Flame . I have disassembled the snare to clean the lugs and rims up and was wondering how to effectively clean and restore the finish of the covering. I tried "Jubilee" which has worked well with marine pearl but I'm finding that the satin flame doesn't appear to shine as well using this product. Does anyone have any tips for cleaning this? Anyone know the fix? Thx!

funkyfoot
Posted on 15 years ago

The satin finishes tend to hold dirt in the grooves. Getting that out will help, if you have not done so. Not sure from the posting.

Use a VERY soft brush to gently soap scrub the wrap. Getting into the grooves is where you will get the best results. Rinse with clean water, not getting the shell too wet. Hair dryer on AIR setting to blow out the water so as to not damage the finish any further.

Using a wax type product will work on a solid surface wrap, but will likely just gum up on the satins. Give it a good cleaning and see how that looks. Good luck.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yeow...the texture of those satins...that can be very tricky. I agree that neither a wax-type cleaner nor a "fantastik" type spray cleaner is a good way to go...

The difficulty lies in the fact that the satin flames are more permeable than the typical pearls/glosses/sparkles/glitters. They are almost fabric-like.

So...like amos suggests, you gotta get the water outta there very fast....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the advice fellas. I will try your technique. Do you think that regular dish soap watered down, of course, will be mild enough? I don't want to cause any separation of the finish.

funkyfoot
Posted on 15 years ago

"Scrubbing Bubbles" and a very very soft brush... has been recommended to me.. I just used windex and dusting cloths on my Slingerlands (over and over)... but they were pretty rough from the start. Next time I have them apart I will go the "Scrubbing Bubbles" route for sure.

I was really concerned about getting the dirt lifted without scratching the wraps anymore than they already where (which was considerable).

I don't think you are permitted to call Camcos "satin flame" when it's Camco... it's "3-D Moire." :)

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

T[COLOR="Navy"]hat's a good thought. I wonder if even just a teri-cloth towel would suffice for applying and wiping it.

That's the big problem with Satin....just teh nicks and scratches it has taken over the years....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

It's really, really hard to get old satin flame to look good again. It is just so prone to scratches and scrapes.

Posted on 15 years ago

I used Zep bio degreaser from Home Depot. Then I used Armorall to bring up the shine on my 65 Sonor Teardrops.

Jeff

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Car upholstery cleaner like that is a great choice to get the sheen back into wraps...wow, never would'a figured it'd work on Satin Flame, though...given the texture difference.

Cool tip.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for all the tips. I ended up cleaning the shells with dawn dish soap. I like the idea of using Armorall. I'll give that a go and will post some photo's as soon as I can clean the chrome and reassemble the drums.

funkyfoot
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here