Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Restoring Rogers XP8

Hey y'all. Got some questions for ya.

I am beginning to restore what I thought was a Rogers XP8 kit in silver wrap. Got the heads off, and the toms have flat bearing edges on the bottom, although there are lug casings & rims for both top & bottom. A local drum guru advised that the drums likely began life as single-sided/concert toms and were 'converted' to double-sided at some point. The shells appear to be 8-ply maple, though, with no re-rings, and the set came with a Rogers XP-8 front bass head. It screams XP-8. So....my first question is, was the XP-8 series available in single-head configuration? Regardless, I will be having bearing edges cut into the bottom sides for the rebuild.

Secondly, the silver wrap is coming off fairly easily, but I'm at an impasse with the vent hole/Big R logo. The logo appears to be no more than a sticker applied to the wrap, but the grommet won't let go of the shell. The grommet doesn't appear to be the kind that passes all the way through the shell and has to be crimped/ruined to remove (see pic). How do I get it out?

Any input is appreciated!

Posted on 7 years ago

The inside picture of the grommet hole looks like there was some other type of grommet there before. It looks like the impression from the two-piece grommet that's on some of my Pearl snare drums...unless it's just a mark left by the manufacturing process...I would think that Rogers XP8's would have a grommet that went all the way through.

I'm not a Rogers expert, though, just saying...

Posted on 7 years ago

That's a good point...I hadn't noticed that. The mystery deepens.....

Posted on 7 years ago

Rogers did offer XP8 shells in concert tom configuration. I have a couple that I converted to double headed shells myself.

The grommet has some expansion to hold it in place, usually with some slight edge expansion on the interior edging. The impression on the shell might be careless workmanship installing the grommet.

The badge is a foil sticker material. You can remove it by carefully heating it up with a hair dryer, and using dental floss and carefully sawing back and forth to "cut" the softened glue on the badge. Done this before with good results. Careful and slow is the key.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here