Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Restoring RK Streamline cigar lugs

Hey everybody,

I've got 6 streamline cigar lugs from a slingerland RK. I'm not sure what kind of metal it is, all my online searching has yielded different answers. They are also painted with some kind of black lacquer. If anyone has any advice on this I'd really appreciate it. I want to remove the chipped paint and then polish the metal.

Posted on 11 years ago

They are Die casted IE.. pot metal.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks! Im hoping to remove the black laquer but I don't know what would be safe to the metal underneath. If anyone has any tips that would be really appreciated.

Posted on 11 years ago

You can try some of the spray bottle paint removers that Home Depot or Lowes... etc... sells. I have use Motsenbockers "Liftoff" it's a spray paint remover. I used it on some bass drum leg mounts that were painted silver. Rinse well with water then dry very well after. Light oil in the threaded bosses the lug screws go in. Take the lug apart first as some RK lugs had felt spring wraps. Just remove the tension rod insert, spring and felts. Your lugs will be nickel or chrome plated under the paint. Try one first to see how it works. I used a old toothbrush on them to help remove the paint.

Here's a pic of the ones I did. Painted on left, finished on right.

1 attachments
Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here