Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Restoring "Cloudy" Chrome Lugs

Hi There,

I'm in the process of restoring a 1960's Kent wmp snare drum.

In the past when restoring vintage drums, I've always taken tarnished / rusty lugs and tension rods and soaked them in Lime Away before following up with metal polish.

Though the Lime Away did wonders on the tension rods, snare strainer and butt plate, my lugs actually came out WORSE than before soaking them: They now seem "cloudy" or blemished, instead of shiny.

Any ideas on how to fix? My current metal polish isn't doing anything. Did I screw up the lugs permanently?

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on 17 years ago

I believe that Lime Away contains a mild acid and therefore I would only use something like that as a last resort type of thing. I've actually never heard of doing that before so I can only venture a guess that the lugs may have had some pinhole pitting that allowed the acid to go beneath the thin chromium layer and cause something strange to happen with the finish.

You may want to consider a buffing wheel and a rouge at this point to see if you can bring the polish back up..Barring that, you may be looking at re-chroming or replacement.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

That's what I feared. (Ugh) Fortunately, the drum was only $20 total. But still, it looks like I've learned my lesson the hard way. Thanks for the tips.

Posted on 17 years ago

OR

you could sell it to me! =-D

but seriousily if you dont want it I would definetely buy it.

But it seems that the Lime Away screwed up the chrome for good.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Yes, no more Lime Away for me. It did work wonders on some of the parts, but when it comes to lugs, they should call it "Shine Away." DOH Oh well...

BeBop, I just sent you a message...

Posted on 17 years ago

If you go to caswellplating.com They sell real easy chrome plating kits. The EN1 kit doesnt even require electric. Look into small brush Plating kits. You can restore the lugs.Regards,Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

Hard scrubbing and a mixture of Bon Ami and Dawn dish soap. Concentrate the mixture then add a minimal amount of water. Soak the lugs overnight and scrub HARD. They are both very mild but effective cleaners so they will not cloud your lugs. I did that with a mint condition 40's Radio King set and the lugs came out amazing. I trust the formula and can tell you from experience, it will probally work, but if not, the lugs wont cloud anymore.

I work in a resturaunt as a chef so I have acess to commerical cleaners. My favorite is from Auto-Chlor and its called "special ultra" the regular "special" stuff is good but the "special ultra" is a more concentrated formula. Its bright green colored. If you have acess to commercial cleaners, get the special ultra. At then end of the night when I haveta clean my mess off the stove, it takes it right off and leaves it looking new. If you do get your hands on that stuff, do not scrub the lugs with somthing abbrasive like steel wool because it will scratch the lugs.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here