Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

restoring my 60's Star drumkit

First, I'd like to say thanks for sharing your knowledge. I acquired three matching Star drums, an 18 inch Bass drum, 12 inch rack tom and 14 inch snare in blue pearl, each needing some help. As this is all new to me, I need some help to be able to help them, if you are able.

The Bass drum has only one hoop and head, (the pedal side) but also only has a single row of centered lugs, and the current tension rods run straight through the lug and have a nut at the far end... so how would I attach the second hoop and head?

Also, the snare needs a strainer, but I don't know what number of strands would be appropriate for this, does anyone know what it came with or what can be used as a vintage replacement? I'd like to keep it all from the 60's if possible, but since some original parts are missing (those listed plus tension rods for the rack tom) I know realistically I will be lucky to find suitable period replacements, much less the same brand.

Thanks for any direction you might be able to give to get me started restoring these.

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

The Bass drum has only one hoop and head, (the pedal side) but also only has a single row of centered lugs, and the current tension rods run straight through the lug and have a nut at the far end... so how would I attach the second hoop and head?

Sounds like a single tension setup. You would need bass drum claws on the resonant side, a hoop and of course, a head. You may be able to use replacement claws which are readily available - Or keep an eye on eBay for a set of original claws.

Quoted post

Also, the snare needs a strainer, but I don't know what number of strands would be appropriate for this, does anyone know what it came with or what can be used as a vintage replacement? I'd like to keep it all from the 60's if possible, but since some original parts are missing (those listed plus tension rods for the rack tom) I know realistically I will be lucky to find suitable period replacements, much less the same brand.Thanks for any direction you might be able to give to get me started restoring these.

These were likely 14 or 20 strand snares. Since snare wires regularly wore out, it's not a big deal to replace them with new/modern parts. Much like the strings on a vintage guitar, they have a relatively short life span.

Check out this site for replacement parts. You should be avle to find everything you need for your kit here.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Big Daddy, thanks so much for your help. That's great news about the wires on the snare, but I still don't understand about the Bass drum.

If the single lug is meant to hold both sets of claws, how would that work when the tension rod for the one side runs straight through the lug and has a nut on the other side of the lug to hold it on?

I tried to upload a pic, but it says my jpeg is ten times too large to upload...

Thanks again for any ideas from you drumsmart folks~

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here