Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

restoring Ludwig bass hoops

I have a question what is the best paint to use for repainting the Ludwig bass hoops. Also what type of tack or staple is used to get the new inlay in to the hoop? Thanks

Posted on 13 years ago

When I restored the hoops on my black panthers, I used Rustoleum satin black......it was in a small spray can, not the usual large rustoleum can we all know....I think it was for wood/furniture/crafts.....anyway, I got it at home depot. As far as the inlays, I didn't glue them at all, I did the same as the factory.....got them as tight as I could get them and just used a regular staple gun.

Posted on 13 years ago

I agree with L-D on the Rustoleum....Recently, I did a repair on a Ludwig hoop and had to touch up the area with paint afterwards.....I had a hard time finding the area I repaired after the hoop was dry...The paint matched almost perfectly!!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 13 years ago

Not saying this is the best or only way, but here's how I've done it with my Ludwig hoops. I think I have been getting extremely close to original results (albeit a bit time-consuming):

1. Strip what's left of the old paint with CitriStrip

2. Used my little mouse sander to smooth out the dings

3. Use plastic wood for any bigger gauges & sand

4. Grey spray primer (I used Krylon, but I'm sure any would do)

5. 2 coats of Flat Black, sanding with #0000 between coats

6. "Several" light coats (like 5 or so) of Gloss Black Spray Lacquer (Ace Hardware brand). It will look really bad when you first spray the lacquer, but the key is using #0000 steel wool between coats to dull the lacquer out. Make sure the coats go on light, be patient. I repeat coats and steel wool until I get a luster that matches the other hoop with the original finish still on. Repeat process on the other hoop until they match.

Don't forget to get the burrs off with a tack cloth after using the steel wool!

For the inlays, I have used "Lawn & Garden Epoxy" on past projects (I think it's the same thing as JB Weld). I haven't tried a staple gun yet, but the epoxy just seems like an easier way though others may disagree. Maybe I'll try the staple next time I need to redo an inlay. The most recent hoops I restored did not need new inlays. I just taped the inlay with painters' tape and an exacto knife.

I will post photos of my most recent finished hoops later when I get home. For now, I just have one photo I took during one of the early black lacquer coats (I think). I wanted to show this pic because: Remember those oh-so-crapola Ludwig stands from the 90s, hmm? Well, everything seems to have its function...

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

I guess I had a bit of a cavalier attitude towards getting them done and roadable, but on my last ones I did I used plain old Rustoleum gloss black, hung 'em on a tree branch and sprayed away. Then, since the kit I was restoring was white cortex, I got some of the correct width white electrical tape and used that for the ring. Works and looks perfect for a player kit.

Posted on 13 years ago

From pjn1375

Not saying this is the best or only way, but here's how I've done it with my Ludwig hoops. I think I have been getting extremely close to original results (albeit a bit time-consuming):1. Strip what's left of the old paint with CitriStrip 2. Used my little mouse sander to smooth out the dings3. Use plastic wood for any bigger gauges & sand4. Grey spray primer (Ace Hardware brand)5. 2 coats of Flat Black Rustoleum, sanding with #0000 between coats6. "Several" light coats (like 5 or so) of Minwax Gloss Black Spray Lacquer. It will look really bad when you first spray the lacquer, but the key is using #0000 steel wool between coats to dull the lacquer out. Make sure the coats go on light, be patient. I repeat coats and steel wool until I get a luster that matches the other hoop with the original finish still on. Repeat process on the other hoop until they match.Don't forget to get the burrs off with a tack cloth after using the steel wool!For the inlays, I have used "Lawn & Garden Epoxy" on past projects (I think it's the same thing as JB Weld). I haven't tried a staple gun yet, but the epoxy just seems like an easier way though others may disagree. Maybe I'll try the staple next time I need to redo an inlay. The most recent hoops I restored did not need new inlays. I just taped the inlay with painters' tape and an exacto knife.I will post photos of my most recent finished hoops later when I get home. For now, I just have one photo I took during one of the early black lacquer coats (I think). I wanted to show this pic because: Remember those oh-so-crapola Ludwig stands from the 90s, hmm? Well, everything seems to have its function...

As promised, before-and-after photos of my recent Ludwig 24" hoop project using the process described above (plus hours of polishing hardware and wrap-- the rest of the kit is in-process, 13-14-16-18 and 6.5 Supra)

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here