Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Restoring Ludwig Baseball Bat Felt Mufflers

Has anyone here ever attempted to replace the felt on a Ludwig baseball bat muffler? If so, any advice for how to do it? I'm thinking it can't be super tough, thinking I'd just need some rivets, but I also have no idea.

Alternatively, anyone know how to properly clean these things? I've got one that is *disgusting* and that doesn't even begin to describe it.

Posted on 3 years ago

The rivets are called semi-tubular hollow rivets and they take a special tool to form the end of the rivet. It is a punch with the shape to form the end and can be done by striking with a hammer.

If the felt is in good shape but dirty then keep the arm together and soak the felt in some warm water with laundry detergent and squeeze it until most of the dirt is gone. Rinse with warm water to remove all of the detergent. If it is white felt you can then soak it in a diluted bleach water solution squeezing several times to make sure it is completely saturated. After a few minutes it should be white again. Hold it under running warm water and squeeze it until all of the bleach is gone. Squeeze with a towel until it is just damp and allow to dry. If it is red felt you can forgo the bleach unless it is still really bad. If you bleach it you will probably end up with a pink or white felt. You can re-dye it red with some Rit dye.

Posted on 3 years ago

From thin shell

The rivets are called semi-tubular hollow rivets and they take a special tool to form the end of the rivet. It is a punch with the shape to form the end and can be done by striking with a hammer. If the felt is in good shape but dirty then keep the arm together and soak the felt in some warm water with laundry detergent and squeeze it until most of the dirt is gone. Rinse with warm water to remove all of the detergent. If it is white felt you can then soak it in a diluted bleach water solution squeezing several times to make sure it is completely saturated. After a few minutes it should be white again. Hold it under running warm water and squeeze it until all of the bleach is gone. Squeeze with a towel until it is just damp and allow to dry. If it is red felt you can forgo the bleach unless it is still really bad. If you bleach it you will probably end up with a pink or white felt. You can re-dye it red with some Rit dye.

Thanks Thin Shell! Going to attempt to clean the felt first, but something tells me it's going to end up with me going the other direction. Do you happen to know the size of the semi-tubular rivets needed?

Posted on 3 years ago

If you do disassemble it,take photos of the process and post them, This would be a interesting project to see. Round Badge

Posted on 3 years ago

From Round Badge

If you do disassemble it,take photos of the process and post them, This would be a interesting project to see. Round Badge

+1

I'm curious to see how will the felt will clean up...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 3 years ago

From Round Badge

I'll see what I can do! Trying to source some matching red felt first if I go that route instead of cleaning it up. It's in pretty chewed up condition so I'd love to find some felt but finding the right stuff may prove a challenge. Might have to make it myself.

Posted on 3 years ago

Update: Felt has been sourced.

Does anyone have a not trashed baseball bat muffler felt pad that they could measure the depth and head diameter and bottom diameter of the rivets on? Would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on 3 years ago

I do

I’ll measure if i can find it

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here