Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Restoring Ajax Mardi Gras/Midnight Sparkle Kit

Hi guys I'm new to the forum so escuse me if I break any rules.........I've had this Ajax kit sitting around for the past couple of years it had a real ugly faded black wrap on it .....1 of the Toms was a pearl....now I was borrowing some skins of it for a newer kit I bought when I relised the Pearl Tom was 14" and I don't believe it started out life as a Tom I think it was a deep snare due to it's interia holes......Anyhow I unwrapped it and it was white. I then started to wonder what the Ajax shells looked like originally so I stripped them down and unwrapped it and found them to be black with coloured confetti type glitter a bit of research helped me find the wrap was rogers Mardi Gras and Ajax used it for a little while....but that is all I could find out.

Does anyone have any info on these kits...it's a 20" bass drum with holes for 1 tom and 1 cymbal and a 16" floor tom I think the rack tom is 12" the snare has a fantastic jazz sound and has offset lugs .....the bullet type ones....

Also the horrible faded wrap the guy used was a type of tape and has left glue which is very hard to shift..any suggestions would be great....

Posted on 10 years ago

Rogers had a tie-up with Boosey & Hawkes who made Ajax, so anything was possible ....

This may not help you, but it does explain what was going on at that time!

http://englishrogersdrums.co.uk/History%20ER.html

Robbie

Norwich, England

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks Robbie ...that does help...I keep seeing ajax kits around with the offset bullet style lugs but have yet to see one using mardi gras wrap I was wondering if its rare

Posted on 10 years ago

http://englishrogersdrums.co.uk/Drum%20wraps.html

I found out about the wrap on here but the kit is shows is a rogers mine is ajax

Posted on 10 years ago

I understand, but there was a lot of funny business going on at that time, so just about anything could turn up on any kit!

Premier were always No 1, Ajax No 2, and strong rivals, but they traded components, and although Boosey and Hawkes had the contract to fabricate Rogers in the UK, I believe at the end Premier were making them alongside Olympic. (There was also a family connection to Beverley)

Posted on 10 years ago

I've recently seen some Mardi-Gras Ajax items on the bay - namely, two TTs and a FT - so there were some of those around. Typical Ajax built, with a Rogers-looking MG wrap.

Alex

Posted on 10 years ago

Not as rare as I thought then so maybe no point in working my fingers to the bone scrubbing this baby up.......thanks guys.....

Posted on 10 years ago

I think they are"rare enough" to spend the time on them.I wouldn't mind having it in my collection.Love the Mardi Gras finish.

Ludwig collection of sets and pioneer snare drums.
Example of Rogers,Slingerland,Gretsch,Premier and Ajax sets.
Various '60's and '70's US,English and Japanese snare drums.
HELP,NEED MORE SPACE!
Posted on 10 years ago

From gonedrums

I think they are"rare enough" to spend the time on them.I wouldn't mind having it in my collection.Love the Mardi Gras finish.

Judging by your signiture dude I think you got a pretty impressive huge collection as it is.......I probably will carry on a bit in the future..but I swapped an electric guitar for a Hayman vibrasonic kit in gold and need to clean that up....so I will make that my priority.....came with a lovely set of avedis late 60's hats clean as a whistle and they have that special hiss.....there was also a paiste original stamp 20"crash unfortunately it hs a split....still sounds nice tho...

Does anyone know how I can convert the Hayman snare strainer to a more modern strip type instead of the old string type because it has had its day.Eye Ball

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here