Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Restoring a unidentified 60 s drumkit.

Thanks! The only problem is that the wraps they sell cost more to begin with than those i fond in the states. But on the the other hand, there will be less shipping fees.

Posted on 14 years ago

http://www.drumbitzeurope.com/

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Not terrible prices...about 10% higher than US prices....but also about 10% cheaper than the prices of Ralf's link....now, I dunno what shipping might cost to you.

But dang, they have a white oyster ripple pearl...hecka cooool.....hell, you cannot get that HERE....hmmmmmm[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah! Cool!:D Pretty affordable to. Thanks for the link.

Posted on 14 years ago

I think i have identified the kit now! Not sure but... It might be a Star "Drum Mate 5," as seen in the 1966 catalog posten on Vintage drum guide. But some questions still remains. First of all, the two star kits i have previously restored had support bracing inside the toms and kickdrum and this one does not. Second, many japanese drums from that era seems to use the same hardware so i can't be sure. Third, the guy who gave me the kit believes the rack toms are actually the same size ( i can't mesure them yet, since the second rack tom is still at his place) And im pretty sure the snare is not the original one, since it does not have the same hardware as the rest of the kit. DOH Ps. Ill show you all some pictures of the kit soon.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The "whether Star or Pearl" thing is still something which the jury is out on...there's another thread here about that.

If the shells are thicker-walled, like 5-ply or 6-ply, then they didn't use reinforcing rings. A lot of the old Japanese kits used these sort of shells, both Pearl and Star/Tama.

Yes, post pics when it arrives. Not that unusual for early 5-piece kits to have matching rack tom sizes, either.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

About rack tom sizes, yeah, i believe you. I think Keith Moon used to have 3 9/13 rack tom on one of his kits (maybe the "lilly"). The snaredrum seems to have been rewraped to look like its a metal one. And the person who did it may be the same guy who painted the kit black using a roller (its not done properly). Anyway, some good news is that i have found some matching hardware lying around a friends rehersal space. A cymbal stand, a highatstand (broken) and a "Top Pedal" kickdrum pedal. Im gonna ask him if he wants to trade it for a late 90s Pearl double kick pedal that he has borrowed from me. I found that pedal in a dumpster outside a studio and repaired it, but he seems to like it anyway.

Posted on 14 years ago

Got the rest of the kit today! Have taken some pictures of it and will post them soon. Anyway, i have taken the homemade wrap of the snaredrum and examined the whole kit. The kit is originaly a four piece, the second rack tom has been added later, since there is traces of a cymbal arm once being mounted to the on the kick drum (and the secod racktom is in its way). The second racktom have different hardware. But Star sold add on toms, so maybe the cymbalholder was removedd to give room to a second rack tom later on... I believe both toms are Star toms, but the second rack tom seems to be from a later serie of drums.

Posted on 14 years ago

Pics can tell more than a thousand words ...

Please try to make photos also from the inside of the shells and close-ups from the lugs/ tom brakets, tom holder on the bass drum ... Everything helps.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

Here are some pictures i have taken. Since im a lamer when it comes to computers, and therefore could not figure out how to upload the here, i uploaded the pictures on imageshack. Click on the links to viev.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8669/ssca0004.jpg

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2905/ssca0003.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8866/ssca0002m.jpg

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4176/res01001.jpg

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yup...that's as straight-up an old Japanese kit as there is flower

If you work them up....may I suggest you have the batter edges recut on all drums.

If you do not know anyone who has a router or routing table, see if you can find a cabinetmaker nearby and ask him to cut a 45 degree interior bevel on those shells. Since you are going to make the outside look so much better, you might as well work the inside just a bit to get the sound to punch more.

BTW, posting pics directly to the thread: underneath the message window, where you type your words, there is a button which reads "manage attachments". Click that button, and you can upload pictures to your thread ;)[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here