Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Restoring a Sonor Action set

Back after a while :) Been trying to restore my first complete vintage set, a 1970 Sonor Action. As you can see from the pics, it's in a fairly good condition for its age, bearing edges looking good and all, hardware came out nicely (except the BD tom mount, where the chrome peeled off).

What bugs me is the wrap: it's that brushed-copper thing that Sonor used at the time, and seems to be worn at places. After some poking, I found that there's actually two layers of it: there's a brushed-aluminium-like bottom and a thin orange film on top which makes it look like brushed copper. It seems that the bottom layer has worn here and there, creating those 'gaps' visible in the photos.

I washed it with warm dishsoap water, but didn't rub hard cause I didn't want to cause any damage. Any ideas on how to fix those 'gaps'?? Also, will Novus work on that surface??

Alex

Posted on 10 years ago

More pics with the double layer.

Posted on 10 years ago

maybe try some of that thin copper or aluminum foil or copper or silver paint from the back side of the wrap?

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here