Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Restoring a Snare to it's former glory...

Hey all! Been a while since I posted here :-) Anyway, I got a couple of quick questions for the restorers here.

I picked up a nice snare drum from a local here. He ordered it from Drum Foundry and constructed it. The only problem is that he shelacked it with like 5 layers of acrylic paint :-( Not sure why you'd cover up such nice mahogany but to each his own I guess.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I could take a mild paint stripper to it. I've never done that to drums before...always sanded down veneer and stain. But paint will just clog the sandpaper. What are your thoughts on a chemical stripper?

Also, if the chemical stripper is the way to go, will it damage the adhesive that's impregnated in the plys? It's a 9-ply drum and I'd hate for it to de-laminate a few years down the road 'cause the stripper I used was too harsh lol.

I'd much appreciate the input from you guys :-)

Cuttle

Posted on 13 years ago

I've had good luck using Citristrip to strip paint from drums without damaging the shell. Picked up a quart jug of it from Lowe's for about ten bucks.

Posted on 13 years ago

Cool, thanks for the advice :-)

I picked up a can of Citristrip this morning after reading up on it and was able to get all the paint off after a couple of applications. Now I just need to sand her down. Thanks again!

Cuttle

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here