Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Restoring a snare, part 1 for Tommyp

Tommyp,

As promised here's the pictures of the interior coating I shot for a restoration on an old Japanese snare. The product comes out thick, and hardens very nicely, but at the sacrifice of some lost of tone on the shell. When I get it wrapped and set up, then we'll see how good the stuff works. For now, I'm checking into another "Rogers" type interior shell coating, preferably something a little thinner in consistency. On the second picture, I purposely took it to show what was being covered on the snare, lots of cracks and ply seperation, good wood glue and better wood filler, sanded to a perfect finish.

[IMG]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3676/snare2nl7.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7476/snare3mh0.th.jpg[/IMG]

backbeatkeeper

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

Gary...

Very interesting! The "Trunk Paint" looks GREAT... but ... I have never tried or used this product as all my Rogers drums are PRE "Trunk Paint" and have the flat Gray interiors. I had no idea that the paint was so thick/heavy. So,

By all means report on the other option you are working on. Otherwise,

You have done an excellent job on that shell. It looks brand new!!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

I was a bit disappointed with the thickness also. By all means this is an experiment, that's why I used this Olympia japanese snare drum. The weather could of been a factor as far as the thickness goes, it was a chilly 65 degrees and windy in So. Calif. Next experiment is another coating by another company on the bass drum of this kit. It has to be mixed and then sprayed with an air compressor and it feels a lot thinner (plus it can be thinned out). I would not dare use it on my "Big R" butcher block kit, it is still in good shape. This is just an option to use for my budding side business of repair of drums, I'm trying to get a feel for the right product, because sometimes a drum needs repair on the shell and I want to give an acoustic sealer option to cover the wood filler when wood can be used to repair. More pictures later to follow.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here