Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Restoring 75 Ludwig Blue Silk

I picked up a Blue Silk kit a few days ago that I will be restoring. The kit is basically all there but will need some work.

The dimensions - 24 X 14, 16 X 14, 14 X 10, 12 X 8. The toms are all concert toms with the small classic lugs. The wrap is generally ok, lifting at the seams in the usual places with a few scrapes here and there. The badge serial numbers are all really close to each other and a couple are sequential. Based on the serial numbers, these are 1975 or 1976. The toms are all granitone insides with 3 ply and re-rings. The bass is clear maple inside 3 ply with re-rings.

My original plan was to strip the wrap, re-wrap in silver sparkle (or some other period correct color) and convert all the toms to full toms. After reading several threads on this forum (thanks for the info!), it seems like it would make a lot more sense to save the wrap and go from there.

So, updated plan is to try to save the wrap and convert all the toms to full toms. I just can't live with the concert toms. Just not my style. I plan to gig with the kit from time to time and the concert toms don't work for me. I am getting the large classic lugs for the 16 and 14 toms and will use the small lugs to complete the 12. I plan to convert the 16 to a normal 3 legged floor tom and leave the other two as rack (or snare stand) mountable.

Here is the biggest challenge at the moment, the wrap on the 12in tom is not repairable (trust me, it's not coming back from what I did to it DOH).

Is there any vendor out there that carries the Ludwig Blue Silk from the mid 70's and if not what are my options?

Posted on 13 years ago

Here are some pictures from the guy I bought the kit from.

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I will check them out.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here