Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.06472%

Restoring 66' Ludwig Club Dates

Congratulations John. Two of my grandsons (7 and 5) come over every few weeks. First thing they do is run upstairs and beat the hell out of a few drums for about an hour and then they are off doing something else. So far they show no interest in learning anything but you never know. Maybe in another couple of years. That's a beautiful family you have!

Posted on 11 years ago

Dude! That second photo brought tears of joy to my eyes! I can only hope that I'm able to do something like this for one of my grandkids when the time comes (my kids are only 5 and 11 at the moment). You are his favorite guy in the entire world! Congrats buddy! the kit looks great!

-Justin

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Posted on 11 years ago

Yep, it really was a special feeling to do it. BTW, that photo only shows less than half of the 'crew.' My daughter-in-law had to work and my own daughter and her three kids were upstate (NY) vacationing and couldn't make the trip. It was one of the best Father's days I've had in years nonetheless. The part I'm really looking forward to is teaching one of my own grandchildren how to play drums. That is the gift that keeps on giving!

Thanks all for helping, following along and for being so patient. It took almost three months to complete this project. But all the waiting and all the work was well worth it. This was a 'lemonade' moment in life. Lord knows we're all handed enough lemons! I'm as happy as my grandson. It was a tremendously good feeling to be able to do it for him.

Again, a very heartfelt thank you to all of you who helped make it happen...Cool1

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

Here's a shot my son posted to his Facebook page. I was showing James some grooves to practice. It's a good 'capper' for the thread.

[IMG]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n632/PurdieShuffle/fathersday_zps2763640a.jpg[/IMG]

John

Posted on 11 years ago

Heart warming stuff John,...

I think I've read somewhere that my Green Sparkle Clubbies were a bit of an inspiration. Makes me feel even better.

My son must be the same age as your grandson so no grandchildren for me yet but I can imagine your pride.

All the best to you and your loved ones.

Stef

Posted on 11 years ago

Great stuff, John! The kit is beautiful and the pics are priceless! Were you able to get all of the nickel rods you were looking for in time?

Lynn

I'm no guru, just a vintage drum junkie!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Posted on 11 years ago

Stef - Thank you... and yes, your kit was a huge inspiration for the restoration of the one I gifted to James.

Lynn - No! I ended up using some chrome rods on the bottom of the rack tom. I'll get them and next visit in to New York, I'll replace them myself.

Thanks all for the support and great comments. It was a special moment in my life and it was fun to share it with you guys. Who else in the world would really understand how great a thing it is to be a part of, and how very much this means as a kind of milestone in life.

I wish all you guys with young ones, health, prosperity and long life. I want you to live long enough to experience the same pure joy that I just had rain down on me. It's a blissful state.

Peace...

John

Posted on 11 years ago

Totally awesome! Your grandson will never forget that day. I'm glad you got the glass glitter wrap issue corrected too.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

Hey John,

Boy, that was quite the roller-coaster on that restoration, but, in the end, alls well that ends well! Really liked the pic of your grandson, talk about a picture being worth a thousand words. That is one lucky kid.

BTW, love that you get to teach him to play........the gift that keeps on giving.

"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail". John Wooden

Blaemire / Jenkins-Martin drums.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here