Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Restoring 59 Slinger-Leedy Shelly Manne Kit

Hi Forum. Newbie Chas here with a question. After a day of researching VDF and other resources I'd like to ask for some advice on value of a 1959 Leedy Shelly Manne drum set. The shells are stamped 1958 but the Turquoise Veil Pearl wrap was offered in the 1959 Slingerland Catalog. They are copper badged as Leedy/Chicago.

Whoever donated the set to Goodwill... my sincere thanks. Whoever took all the bottom hoops off and allowed these and various other parts to become separated from the kit... you suck! Because I'm a guitarist drum hardware is a bit foreign to me.

I'm wondering what hardware is unique or if some of the missing parts (like the three straight floor tom legs) may be available from an aftermarket supplier. As for the missing metal hoops and lug bolts .. is replacing with COB a must or are there generic COS hoop and lug replacements that I can use until I find a good deal on COB's? I also need the hoop, both floor legs and 10 T-Handle Lugs/Claws for the Kick Drum. Plus the Strainer (Presto I think) is incomplete.

I'm going to post this to the Parts Wanted forum too but was just wondering where else on earth I should be looking for these parts.

Thanks, Chas

Posted on 10 years ago

Chas, fiest off good too have you with us here on the forum, This is a rare kit and finish, It is worth restoring correctly, sans any extra holes in the shells? You'll want to get Slingerland sticksavers COB rims for the toms, Ebay is a good place for the parts also but as you mentioned Try the parts wanted section here on the forum also,

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 10 years ago

Very cool kit you have there. Do you have the lug casings for the mounted tom?

The 70's were particularly hard on drums and drummers.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 10 years ago

Hi Vintagemore2000 and Tnsquint. Thanks for your help. I don't see any extra holes in any of the shells. There are some auxiliary mounting screws on the kick drum that look to be filling the holes provided for reversing the cymbal stand and rack tom assembly. The stick saver rims I have curve inward toward the middle of the drum head as opposed to some of the Ludwig stuff on ebay right now. I have all drum lug casings except for two that are missing from the mounted tom. I'll post a few more pics. Again thank you both for the help... I've gotten myself in trouble at the Goodwill Store before but I'm glad to hear that this time I did ok.

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

chas, the rim that has radio king engraved on it is not correct to the drum you have. But that is a sticksaver rim that is what you want to buy for your kit. Not the Ludwig rims which are triple flange rims.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 10 years ago

So if I want the restore to be 100% I should probably look to replace this rim as well, huh? Do you think I should have the bearing edges looked at or leave them alone?

Posted on 10 years ago

Yes the rims are chrome over brass sticksavers, No don't do any bearing edge work. Unless it really needs it.

Posted on 10 years ago

Hi CHAS, I'd be interested in buying the Radio King rim from you if you'd like to sell it and get the proper one for your really neat kit. Let me know if you'd like to sell it. Thanks, Gerald Sterken

Posted on 10 years ago

Cool set. Extremely rare finish and I've never seen a Leedy with that finish.

I sort of lucked into the Turquoise Veil set I had too.

There is a replacement Leedy throw off repro available on ebay. (Search Leedy)

I once got an aftermarket sticksaver (not brass) rim and only a Slingerland geek looking closely would know the difference. Of course, COB hoops would be better if you want to spend the dough.

It's very possible that Radio King hoop was original. There was a very short period where Slingerland had engraved RK hoops, and I think it was around 1958 or so.

It's very possible that they sent the Leedy snare out with that rim.

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Nice catch! You'll probably have to go eBay to scare up the lugs. Steel Slingerland copy rims will work fine. If you want to be really correct, look for originals. I'd be fine with the repros, tho. Rare color. You probably know, that's the real value of this set. Be careful with that wrap! Also, if you sell the RK rim, they're worth quite a bit on their own.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here