Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Restoring 1971 Ludwig Psychedelic Red

Hi,

I have a psychedelic red Ludwig set from the 70's that needs new bass drum hoops. The originals are very warped. They seem to be reasonably round but the hoops are splayed outward from the the claws pulling in that direction for over 40 years. I want to preserve the original look of the set and am thinking about attempting to peel the old wrap off the hoops and reapplying it to new ones. Has anyone ever tried this? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. This is my first time posting here. I am a life long drummer, I have BM in percussion performance, play on church praise teams and Direct Bands.

Posted on 12 years ago

The hoop inlays were usually just stapled on the ends to hold them in place, & not glued. If you carefully get under the ends & remove the staples, You may get the inlay out w/ out breaking the ends. However, even if they chip off a little, this is not a disaster. New hoops are available, & probably worth the investment for a Psych Red set.

Posted on 12 years ago

I do see the staples. If there is no glue it shouldn't be too hard to peel them off. Thanks for the information.

Posted on 12 years ago

When you get them off be careful. They can be fragile as I found out today. I had two snap on me while I was cleaning them. They cannot be bent very much. Brittle I guess is the right word. Good luck!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here