Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Restoring 1970s Ludwig Supraphonic snare hoop

The top side hoop of my snare drum has just broken and I would like to replace it: does it have to be a Ludwig hoop, or could I put a generic Die Cast hoop on there and hope for the best?

I've been enjoying the Vintage Drum guide in my quest to find out what kind of snare I have. I've narrowed it down to the 70s because of its blue and olive badge, but the p-85 strainer makes it look early 80s... What concerns me is that when I bought the drum for £150 back in 1998, the dealer explained that the chrome shell might warp with age. Now that I have a cracked hoop I want to look after the drum as best as I can. I guess hoops do break now and again, so I hope it isn't the shell that's warped (has this happened to anyone out there?)

Thanks in advance to fellow Ludwig enthusiasts...

Posted on 15 years ago

All you need is a ten-hole 1.6 mm chrome over steel triple flange rim to get you up and running. There were some slight differences between an old Ludwig rim and a new generic one, but not much. You might also find a vintage ten-hole rim, too. They are not uncommon.

You probably DON'T want a die-cast rim, as they will change the sound of the drum and they are considerably more expensive.

You can also get a new 2.3 mm rim, too -these are quite "standard" nowadays.....and it will work, but the new 1.6 mm rims are closer to the original Ludwig ones.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks, that's great.

Do you have any experience of Stagg rims? My dealer says he can order a hoop for £15, whereas a new Ludwig rim would be closer to £40. I thought I might get the cheap one for now and keep an eye out for a vintage rim... Any thoughts on how a Stagg rim would effect the sound?

Posted on 15 years ago

Not really sure about Stagg, but I think it's a kind of "stencil" brand from China (where everything is made!), so I would imagine they are essential generic rims. It may be exactly like the new Ludwig rims. I'm not sure.

It sounds like a good plan to go with the inexpensive rims to get you going and then look for vintage one on EBay when it comes up. Good luck in yur quest. I'm sure you will love the drum!

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Just find out if the Stagg is a 2.3 mm or not. You don't wanna go with a 2.0 mm, that'd be too lightweight. A 2.3 is a nice hefty hoop and sonically/structurally it will be fine.

I think you have a good plan...get an inexpensive generic to keep the drum playing, and be on the lookout (eFlay) for a vintage one. 10-holes never go for that much money, even an original Luddy one.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Hmmmm.... I've been thinking of a similar question, as I need a snare side hoop for my old Ludwig Standard snare.

But now i are a bit confoosed :confused:

I read here [O-Lugs] that the "new 1.6mm rims are closer to the original..." rims - Is this true for the '68 - '72 Standard series?

In Ludwig's older "Replacement Parts" catalog, they list hoops for 1.9mm & 2.3mm - [the 14" 1.9mm's are P-26432-R snare side & P-21362-R for batter]

Jaye, you mention "You don't wanna go with a 2.0 mm, that'd be too lightweight." Do you mean this just for the Supraphonic?

My cloudiness on this is from both the 1.6mm quote (should this be 1.9mm?)

and from Jaye's warning against using 2.0mm (essentially 1.9mm?).

I guess I have 2 questions here really: 1) What is an acceptable replacement for an old Standard? 2) Does the hoop not being Ludwig - old or new - effect its vintage status - ? (i'd think so) - And 2) Were the Standard hoops COB or just steel or ???

Yeah, only 2 questions ;)

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

You can always try Todd at Ontario Music in California. He was the Artist Rep for Ludwig for years and he owns the store now. He is a Ludwig dealer, does some repairs and always has some parts up his sleeves. He sells on Ebay and has some neat kits come through.

Oops, just noticed your in Europe, shipping might be costly..

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

"2.0" is actually 1.6. That's the ones you want because that's what the originals were. You CAN use a 2.3 mm style, too. But the originals were 1.6 It's up to you. Burger Kin

Some of the early rims were COB or NOB, but by 1970, they were COS.

You want a COS 1.6 (often listed a "2.0")mm 10-hole rim. I've not seen them listed as "1.9", but maybe that's what they are calling the 2.0 one, now. In any case, you want the lighter of the two choices. That's the closest one to Ludwig's originals.

Yes. A non-original rim will affect the collectible status -but not by much if the rest of the drum is nice.

Posted on 15 years ago

Great Inf-O-Lugs x-mas3

- (though i dont know why 2.0 is really 1.6 - hmmm... is that an actual caliper measurement vs. "listed" measurement?)

~ nevertheless - good answers.

Here's the Ludwig Replacement Parts Catalog pdf. link - idk what year this came out - it seems to reach back pretty far: http://www.ludwig-drums.com/pdf/av1453.pdf

Page 38 has the hoops & mm's list.

I don't know if these numbers [part #'s & mm's] mesh with the recent old days - but it's the only one I've seen. Perhaps if anyone has older, they could x-check specs. It'd be nice to know what the original '60s - '70s specs were [part no.s / mm's].

I've bought a hoop or two on eBaby sold as vintage Ludwig - maybe they were, but they seemed too squeaky new to be 40 years old. They are *close* to my original ones & are allegedly OEM - still just as stick wackable D' Drummer

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here