Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Restoring 1961 Slingerland Bass Drum

Hello to all-

I'm new to the forum, but am glad to find it; what a wealth of information!

I'm restoring a 1961 bass drum and am missing 2 t-rods. Frankly, I don't care whether I replace them with authentic ones, I just want the drum to function. I bought what I believe to be the thinnest t-rods Gibraltar makes but they are too fat and/or differently sized to properly screw into the lugs. I know that I could buy authentic replacements on ebay but would prefer not to pay as much as that appears to cost, given that I don't really care about authenticity in this case. Can anyone provide any advice?

Also, I'm looking for a black diamond pearl floor tom to match this set. If anyone has one, I'd be a potential buyer.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on 11 years ago

One additional question:

Does anyone know if Ludwig rods from the same era would work (i.e. were the Ludwig and Slingerland sizes the same)? I ask because eBay seems to have far more Ludwigs than SLingerlands. Thank you.

Posted on 11 years ago

I'm pretty sure the ludwig will fit. I've used ludwig on slingerland before but not that specific year. If it were me and I only needed a few T's To make it all original I'd buy the pieces off eBay when some came up that we're reasonable in the $4-5 range. You may get them cheaper in rougher condition. You'd probably have no problem getting rid of the rest of the T's here if you had to buy 8-10 T's. People seem to always be looking for the torpedo T's.

My two cents!

Curtis

Posted on 11 years ago

I used these on my 1960 Slingerland bass drum restoration.

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_107_283&products_id=2355

I have the original bullet t rods but a couple were a little bent and some not as nice chrome on them. I can always clean and straighten them but if you have the claws these should work and are nice and new chrome. You can also get some nice T rods that will work too but more expensive.

Can you post a pic of the drum?

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks to you both.

Vibes: I don't have a picture handy (I'm not with the drum now) but it reminds me very much of this: http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13835&d=1267319360. I had purchased these (http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_107_283&products_id=5697) and they didn't work. It looks like yours are maybe even thicker?

Posted on 11 years ago

I'm an idiot. I just read more closely and see that the ones I'd purchased say this: "They are 6mm diameter and only fit older Pearl bass drums and some other import bass drums."

Vibes: Please confirm whether in your opinion, the t-rods you bought would work with the drums in the picture I linked to. Thanks!

Posted on 11 years ago

They most definately will work. You might want to measure your t rod from collar to the end to make sure you get them the correct length. Any standard old Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch should work. I think those bullet type t rods on gretsch and Slingerland were manufactured by the same company. I may be wrong but they look identical to me. To make absolutely sure take a t rod to Home Depot or Lowes and screw it into their little screw holes of different sizes to know exactly what size it is, then you can order the correct size rods. I believe only DW, PDP, and possibly some old Camco t rods are different. All the others are standard I believe. I am sure someone here will know for sure.

Posted on 11 years ago
'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks to all. I'm also missing one of the spurs (the mount is intact but the leg itself is gone). I've looked on eBay and around the Internet generally but without any luck thus far. Anybody have an idea where I could find a replacement leg? As you may know, they're very skinny... Thanks in advance.

Posted on 11 years ago

I have a '62 Slingerland kick. If you only need a couple of tension rods then you could get standard drum key rods and place them on either side of the kick pedal. That would be pretty cheap and will work better regardless.

I believe the spurs are 3/16" and several guys have just purchased stainless steel rod and cut it to length. Add a rubber foot and you are good to go. Of course, if you want to stay authentic, then you will want to get the real deal.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here