Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Restored 1966 Ludwig Steel Timbales (Copper & Chrome)

This is my thank you to cuco for all his inspiration and guidance in getting these back in the gig. Was going to use one as a cadaver to volunteer up some lugs for a little chemical test on chromed cast metal before doing it for real on my 1953 RK Hollywood Ace restoration last year. When I pulled off the lug, this brilliant golden shine was underneath the rusted spray painted surface.

From there on, they became the next project and that's when cuco (cuquito717) helped me get started with getting them back to round. After that it was a living lab experiment on different platings. :)

Turns out they are Lacquered Copper over Nickel over Steel. I've seen these sell as "Chrome" Timbales after buffing off the copper plating, but according to Caswell plating, "you cannot plate anything over chrome. Before plating copper over nickel (or chrome over nickel, for that matter), the nickel must be activated by a 10 to 15 second dip in 5% sulfuric." Once that was figured out, the path got a little better set in order to proceed and not accidentally trash a plating.

So here's how they started - drug down a gravel road on a chain behind a pickup truck - I've hauled these on gigs for 30 years and always thought they were so ugly they HAD to be home made - until I noticed the grey spray paint camouflaged 60's Ludwig Keystone S/N badge dating them to 1966.

Here's how they started....

Posted on 10 years ago

First round was using a rolling pin cut to width and hammering away. Once that roughed it out, the problem shifted to the curled under, rolled bottom edge. In order to get all of the pinches and blow outs fixed, I had to fab a little cave-tool.

Back to the bench and a lot of tapping, wanging and cursing - with results (finally) pictured here. Then it was on to the shells themselves....

Posted on 10 years ago

I originally set out to restore both to what remained of the copper plated surface, but my 17 yr old daughter convinced me to go 1 Copper and 1 Nickel - starting with the copper. Interior first - where learning mistakes have a better chance of hiding....they had a horrible patina built up that looked more parts road grime than traditional patina.

A series of Brasso, paint strippers, acids, concoctions, .....the best result was the same citric acid paint remover used to do the initial paint strip.

Then I hit it with a 30 second hydrochloric acid dip - at 24% purity (toilet bowl cleaner) before spending about a trillion hours learning to strip,buff and polish on a buffing wheel.

Posted on 10 years ago

Hardware all came out great, with plenty of shine along with plenty of wear. Put the original badge back on with a new spacer (with mykentuckydrum's tool).

The nickel version had the exact same work done, down to the copper, which I then took off little by little using Tripoli compound on a stitched cotton wheel - 1/2 inch at a time.

Posted on 10 years ago

So then here's the final nickel finish and the end sum of the project. 1966 Ludwig 13" Copper and 14" Nickel Timbales (S/N 399501). All that remains is to replace the missing Keystone badge on the copper. They're fitted out with new heads, waxed up and on the hand polished original Ludwig stand, ready for the next job.

Thanks everyone, for the inspiration, encouragement and guidance. Cause sometimes even a blind squirrel like me gets a nut.

Posted on 10 years ago

Beautiful job!

Posted on 10 years ago

poregon,if you have the guidance of cuco on your side you just can`t go wrong.He is a master of timbale knowledge and has helped me with many questions unanswered on the forum by others.We are so lucky to have him as a member on this forum.Now as to your restoration of these wonderful drums...you have done a super job in saving these "dragged down the road" timbales and have brought them back to life and i thank you for that.I know cuco is very proud of the tremendous job that you have accomplished and not an easy one at that.Many congrats on a resto job very well done.Now just enjoy your work and there sound!

Wayne

1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Posted on 10 years ago

That is nothing short of journeyman metal working! Wow, what a job you did on that banged up shell. Amazing. Both drums look excellent. You certainly earned bragging rights for that job.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

I learned a ton, which is reward in itself (my first try at metal), but your post was what made it worth it. Thanks, John.

Now what is recommended for inaugural heads? Cool Dude

Posted on 10 years ago

GREAT JOB Excited

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here