Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

restoration woes

new member...old problems...

want to restore to glory my 66 slingerland kit...

a) is there any miracle cure for chrome pitting?...

(laughter ok for this novice)...

also...

b) how do you clean / polish satin flame wraps?...

c) should i treat interior shells (maple) with anything?...

happy to be on board...

sam

Posted on 18 years ago

Welcome to the board!

The pits are the pits! and nothing can be done to correct that.

Satin flame wraps are not as easy to clean because of the grooves in the material. Plus they are usually easier to scratch. Is the wrap really dirty like stained or yellowed or dusty?

I perosnally do not do much to the interior of my drums during restoration. But for maple any wood cleaner like Liquid Gold will help. Just make sure there are no internal markings on the shells because that will take it right off.

Here is some more information. Click Here

David

Posted on 18 years ago

This might sound like a totally crazy way to clean finishes but it works well and it is CHEAP! Go to Wal-Mart, in the infant section they have Equate unscented baby wipes, I use these things for cleaning dirt and grease off of any non-porous surface, even the dashboard of my van. I have seen no problem with discoloring or that left-over gummy feeling from other cleaners.

I just wouldn't use them on bare wood or other porous surfaces because of the amount of moisture involved. Oh yeah, my kids have outgrown these things but dear old dad still needs 'em. Hope it works for you!

Posted on 18 years ago

thank you guys for your response and information...

my satin wrap is not yellowed or stained, but seems dull...

sam

Posted on 18 years ago

Best way to clean a satin flame finish is to use a product such as scrubbing bubbles spray cleaner. It get's down into the grooves and lifts the dirt right out. You may have to do it a couple of times if you have never cleaned them really good. Best way is to remove all the hardware then clean them. After you are done use a good grade guitar polish and let it soak in over night and wipe any excess off.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here