Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Restoration Slingerland 8 Tube Lug Snare

Ok, well, it's stripped, badge is off and a ho ho ho...

Well, not really.... As I was sanding the snare I noticed these little grey specs in some spots, they are very tiny but spread out in patches... Sucks!

So now I'm searching the web for answers on how to get rid of em, don't think I can sand them of, they seem to go through the shell. Should I continue sanding? I've posted pics.

So now I'm wondering if I'll keep it natural, white mist (see through) or black lacquer.

Any input welcome, as always. x-mas1

Thanks

P.S. Well, wanted to post pics with my super high quality images, but this site doesn't support... Will take a few more and post later.

Posted on 11 years ago

Ok so, heeere it is!

Wow, a lot more work than I expected...

Reset the same gromet with a punch, worked fine. Was a bit in the air about using a satin finish or gloss finish because I thought that the wood grain was so beautiful that I wanted to enhance it, but opted for a satin finish.

I think its much more appealing like this, make that beautiful 90 year old one ply maple shell pop!

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions, greatly appreciated! I posted pics but most are too large for this site, sucks cause I have taken pictures all through the project, oh well.

Happy new year everyone!

M

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Looks realy nice. There was a video somewhere on this site with a way to get the rust off the threads of a lug. He used an electric drill with a socket to hold it and chrome cleaner on tinfoil. I think it is in the video section. I mnever cleaned the threads until I saw his video. Steve

70's Ludwig Blue Sparkle 12/13/16/18/22
70's Ludwig Natural Maple 12/13/16/18/22
65 Ludwig Silver Sparkle 13/16/20
70's Ludwig Walnut Cortex 12/13/16/22
Snares; 60's Acrolite/70's Acrolite/70's Black Beauty/
70's Natural Maple
Posted on 11 years ago

That looks great, congrats!!

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 11 years ago

I just soak tension screws in CLR overnight and avoid all other abrasive cleaning methods. Worst case you scrub the threads with an old toothbrush.

Works great!

Don't forget to wax the parts after rinsing and drying to prevent rust.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago

Really nice job on this cool snare. Finish looks very very nice. Tube lug, cloud badge, deep shell, wow, enjoy!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here