Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Resto practice candidates

Hey all, i have a *** set ( i think) that i wanted to practice restoring with. Ill get pics tomorrow but its a 20-12-16 with crappy recovering, missing bottom hardware on everything. The hardware are a thin shark fin style. Once i get pics (hopefully tomorrow) if anyone has the matching hardware im missing and they want to sell it let me know!! Question : a friend suggested that they might be trixon because the hardware is staggered i believe on the bass and rack tom. The bass drum has slide bar mount in center. Any help or knowledge on this matter is appreciated. Anyway i will upload pics tomorrow. Thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago

WelcomeMore than likely a Star (TAMA) stencil with Sonor knock off lugs. They are quite fun to work on, but don't hope to make a killing on them as the market just doesn't bring a lot back, a couple of bones at the best. But the experience is what makes it worth it, and you can make them a nice gigging kit, if you are willing to take some direction from us. Recontour some, but not all, edges, clean up the rest with just a light sanding, it makes a monstrous difference in the sound, and use new, or newish, heads when complete for a nice, vintage sound!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Hi,Welcome to this great drum forum...When you post photos i will check my parts,i most likey have all the parts you are missing..By the way set sounds like a 60s "STAR" set...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

WOW i just looked up old star drum kits and you guys are right ON THE MONEY. EDIT, thanks also for the welcome. This forum is truely has the most info on vintage drums... very cool.

Posted on 14 years ago

heres a few pix. when i took a piece of hardware off i was surprized how sharp the tip was! MIkey777 im definately interested to see what you might have for this kit, its also missing a few other things like the ride cymbal mount and the slide on rack tom mount.

Posted on 14 years ago

HI, Yes thats a star[[1960s] set i can tell that by the lugs...As you know the set has been rewraped,looks like the bottom lugs are missing on all the drums if so i may have the lugs for the toms...Bass drum no they are bigger then the toms...T-rods for bass i have,if the tom mount on the mounted tom has not been change out i have it,it should have three holes i would need a photo of that side of drum...You ask about the cymbal mount,if you need the mount and not the L-arm yes i have them..rims any used ones you could fine would work...just P.M. to let me know..thanks Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Oh, I just went over you photos it looks like the tom mount has been change but the best way is to post or email me photos of each drum..I have all types of mounts for the 60s made in japan drums..Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Very nice!! Those are going to be the fire when cleaned and put back. The correct rail and consolette for this set is the "Majestic" type-the top of the Star line, with the "diamond" shaped end caps. I will post a pic later today. When you get to the edges, since those are lauan, I would take 220 grit and lightly sand the edges to close the grain and make them smooth. It will make it easier to tune them, offering less friction when pulling the heads over. Unless you just really have to, I would not change the contour, only smoothing them. Cool find, and that is the second BOP to surface today. How is it this always happens? WMP in multiples a few weeks ago, mostly without badges, and now it looks like we are in for the "Ringo Wrap"!!! I certainly hope you can save that wrap, it will make this kit much more desirable!!! If you can avoid it, don't pull it, and if you just can't stand it, or just want the experience of doing a re-wrap, let me know, I would love to have it for a rewrap I will be doing soon.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Are you sure that's a re-wrapped set? How can you tell? Are there problems with seams, etc?

With that wrap, if it is indeed original the set may be worth more as is. I know that selling the set might not be your motivation, but just FYI.

I kind of like that wrap, you dont see that very often if at all. What were you thinking of covering it with?

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks again guys. Mikey i will definately get individual pics of the drums and/or send you a pm. Here's the deal, it's definately rewrapped because there are no holes in the wrap where the bottom hardware is missing. i bought them when i was 16 (23 now) the guy told me they were ludwigs at the time, the tom had a 60s ludwig mount and the slip-on L was swapped with a regular L. He obviously tried to make "ringos" out of them even putting a head with ludwig logo on it. Not sure where the wrap came from , it might have been sacrificed long ago from a real ludwig set along with the tom mount. I would like to put them back to original. The original slip on mount shows a rectangular 4 holes on the inside of the tom.

My friend gave me 6 star tom fins last night but they are not 100% identical to mine, they are a little bevelled on the bottom edge and arent as sharp on the point. Not something you would be able to notice from 10 feet away but i still would like to use the correct ones. Ill get more pics later today.

also to answer cn769 the only wraps that was appealing was root beer glass glitter or retro sky blue pearl from jamminsam, that is if i ever get that far... Thanks again

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here