Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Resocote restoration

I'm restoring some 60's Ludwigs and the kick has the white Resocote finish inside. What would you do to restore this? It's quite dirty and has some scratches too. I know people just paint them so I'm asking for any one with experience with this or advice on how this may affect the sound. Cheers, trout.

PS I realize this topic is also mentioned below, but since it has no responses . . .

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 16 years ago

Hi, The best thing to do is to contact Jack Lawton from Lawton Drums. He does restorations/repainting of the shell's interior for vintage Ludwig Drums and is an expert. Go to lawtondrums.com for his phone number to discuss the possibilities. Hope everything works out for you. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 16 years ago

It is never recommended to repaint it....

For some reason that realiy affects the value, not as much as a re-wrap, but still not worth doing if you plan on ever selling them.

Also consider that no one will ever see it, so it is not the most important part of a restoration.

In many cases cleaning them is how so many date stamps were removed from drums...

So you should first protect that area with tape, and or put a little piece of plastic over it and tape around it....

Then with any mild cleaner and a soft sponge just wipe it out.

Make sure the sponge is not overly wet and that you are not using an abrasive 3M sponge. Soft car cloths and other all cotton cloths will work well also.

I used to use windex when I had drums with that interior, but I do not remember how well it cleaned and or if that was good or not.

Also, soft scrub is a great cleaner for drum heads and I have also used the non abrasive formula on shell interiors and it really does wonders to the interior..

You do not want to do a lot of scrubbing and or rough work on the inside of the shell, so start with a small spot and run a test prior to jumping in full force..

Others probably also have their own way of doing things and all probably work equally well.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

That's great advice. Thanks very much. I used some domestic cleaner and a sponge. The date stamp (if there ever was one) is long gone.

Came up ok actually. Lot's of scratches etc but I do think it would make it worse if I painted it. Unfortunately, I'm in Australia, so no chance of sending the drum away.

Cheers,

PK

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here