Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Researching '70s Ludwig kit

Hi all -

Thanks again to the folks here who were so kind and helpful with my research on my uncle's Formula 602 concert cymbal (see vintage cymbal thread).

We're moving on to his pride and joy, a '70s vintage Ludwig full kit. Due to arthritis in his thumbs, he's been unable to play for a few years now. This kit has been cased up since then.

I don't have TOO much info on it yet, and photos are yet to be taken. A phone call to him tonight got me the following information:

Originally an 8 piece kit, the snare was replaced with a Rogers Dynosonic Chrome (which he wants to sell as part of the kit).

Ludwig shells remaining are:

(4) mounted, melodic/concert toms (no bottom rim) - 13", 14", 15", 16"

(2) floor toms with bottom rims - 18" & 20"

(1) 24" bass

Ludwig shells are white, good to very good condition for most. There are, apparently, a couple of popped lugs (through the shell, I assume), and the bass drum is missing some claws and lugs - he played it with an open head at the front most of the time. The 'missing' hardware is most likely in his or my possession - we have boxes of random pieces from this and another drum set.

He did not see a model number/name on the badges, and he will be opening the cases to check the shape of the badge (he couldn't remember just now). I realize that's a key factor.

Based on this starting information, does anyone have suggestions on what/where to look for further evidence? Is that enough to put it in a particular model range?

Any thoughts are welcome, and I will put pics up as soon as he's able to get them to me. We don't live near each other, or else I'd be driving there asap to check this stuff out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ken

Posted on 14 years ago

Been doing some digging, and based on my memory of the kit and my uncle's recent description, I think it's a 'Quadra Plus' from 74 or 75. Four rack mounted, melodic toms with the option of a 24" bass. Somewhere, the 20" floor tom was added - doesn't look like it was part of the original catalog.

I'm interested to see the pics - if it's not a high $ kit, I may buy it from him. I have awesome memories as a kid sitting behind this giant kit in his basement... I'd love to own it, but not if he can get some good cash for it.

Thanks again for any input.

Posted on 14 years ago

Today's market does not bring as much, by half or less, for the "concert" drums-i.e. those with no bottom hoops and heads, even in primo condition. Not to say they don't still sound grand, but just not really "valuable". If he is going to let you have them cheap, take them, by all means! My guess would be since he played orchesral music, they are in tip top condition. You could then convert them rather easily, as I believe Ludwig cut the edges on all shells top and bottom. The hardware is relatively easy to come by, hoops, lugs etc., and if you are handy, you could do it yourself, or have it done professionally. Some of us do this type of work, or you could take it to the nearest drum store that seems competent to do the mods. It would be way worth it to have that kit. The Dyna is a great snare, and is COB, so it will sound wonderful, and as he was a concert drummer, it may be a super sensitive, or a parallel strainer set up.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

He was actually a rock drummer. Looking at the Ludwig catalog entry from '75, they promoted this setup as beneficial for the rock drummer looking for projection, which I'm sure was appealing to him!

I JUST found a similar setup on a local Craigs List selling for $700 with cymbals and hardware - and in (seemingly) awesome condition.

I'll do some more research once he sends the photos, which I'll be sure to post here.

Thanks again,

Ken

Posted on 14 years ago

As far as CL, I don't take much stock in it. The people that shop are mostly looking to steal your gear. For instance I have a 3 pc Ludwig from 1980 in amazing condition and have it listed for 200. Only flakes have replied, and not one has actually come to see it. So, as far as using it for valuation purposes....I'd check feebay for closed auctions, as that will give a better idea of what they actually bring. He is asking 700, but you'll never know what it sold for. Asking is not selling. He will more than likely sell for aaround 500, or not at all. In my area, nothing sells on CL, I think we only use it to show off what we have. The same 50-60 kits stay up, and very rarely do they move. And many of them are priced way under value, just as the Chinese crap is all 300 and worth 75. I don't care how new or unplayed your SP or GP is, in my book, thay are 75, if you have all of the set, h/w, symballs, thrown and peddles......LoLoLoLo

Anyway, search closed deals on feebay for a realistic value.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the input on CL.

When I've got some more definitive info, I'll post it here - maybe a realistic value can be guessed at.

At this point, I'm assuming we're looking at $500-$1000, depending on the inclusion of the Dynasonic snare (and it's condition...).

Ken

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here