Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Rescued: Aluminum Badge 8 X 14 Radio King

Hello to all – first post! I would like to share a few items that I have casually collected. I’m usually the bassist in a band and drums were never my regular instrument – I would describe my skills on a drum set as marginally functional. However, they’ve recently started capturing my attention at music stores, antique malls, pawn shops, drummer acquaintances, etc.… I’m grateful to all here for your generously and freely shared collective knowledge. I’ve been reading here for a while, and I’ve learned at least one thing for sure: Everyone likes pictures! – So, I won’t neglect that important part of participation. Please let me know if I’ve misidentified anything.

I present my first submission – a WWII-era Aluminum Badge 7 X 14 Slingerland Radio King. I saw it on a shelf in the back room of a mom-pop music shop (which recently closed). It had no top hoop or rods, no strainer, no muffler knob, toasted duco, and evidence of moisture exposure. I removed the remaining hardware, shined it up (I only hand-polish with Flitz), and sent the shell with badge to Precision for a wrap job and a light edge & bed dressing – it came back beautiful, of course. I bought new parts: the Gibraltar SV-GVO strainer (I drilled no new holes to fully accommodate it – the top 2 are holding it securely enough although I know I should make an adapter plate until a correct three-point comes along), new Gibraltar hoops for both sides, eight rods & washers (originals on bottom), a thumbnut for a muffler knob & nylon washer, and Puresound Blaster wires. From there I proceeded to learn my first potentially serious lesson (and I’m sure this has been previously discussed here): wrapping a drum that was previously only painted can impact head fitment. I averted this consequence by getting Aquarian American Vintage heads (they were still a snug fit). Of course, I kept the original bottom hoop and snare wires.

I think this one is probably a keeper, as I undoubtedly have more invested in it than it’s worth, given the shell condition, added wrap and missing parts. When I found it, it was teetering on the edge of a dumpster – now it is a nice-looking, good-sounding playable instrument that could someday be upgraded with some correct parts. Later, I may ask for opinions as to value for a couple other things in my collection that perhaps should sometime soon find a new home.

Posted on 5 years ago

Nice. What did you do with the original wires? They are unique both in the weight of the wire and that they extend beyond the bearing edge hence the bridges on the orignal strainer and butt plate.

Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks, Multijd! I kept the original wires stored safely away - I'll take another look at them. They have the metal straps on the ends, and my thinking was to make the drum more playable without worrying about breaking them.

Posted on 5 years ago

Great Job!!

I have a question: The hoops don't match. The snare side hoop "seems" to have a fold over flange similar to the early Camco hoops. Is that really a Gibraltar product?

Also, I wonder if there is a product that will clean up the aluminum badge oxidation?

Kurt

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 5 years ago

Thank you, Kurt! I'll have to go back over my records to see exactly what I got. At the time, I was just in the habit of going to dfd and ordering things that looked like they would work. I was (and pretty much still am) a noob that wouldn't know what matches and what doesn't! ...lol! I'll take a closer look at this as well. And yes, I didn't work too hard on the badge, but am open to suggestions for cleaning it. It's had a light application of Flitz (great for chrome or nickel) but that's it.

Posted on 5 years ago

And... you've both got me thinking - since it's going to be more a a collector piece than a player piece for me at present, if I would decide to spend any more time or money on it, what would be the best course of action to take from here? I could put the original bottom hoop and snare wires on it (loosely tensioned) and put it back in its case (where it is now) and consider moving it on someday. I keep an Acrolite on my "daily beater" (Ludwig MIT Accent Combo in red with some 70's A Zildjians around it) which serves me and the grandkids well... everything else is more or less "on the table". Would it be a miracle to find an original top hoop with that elegant rim stamp? Note also the black nylon sleeved rod washers - I put these on to help with alignment and to help compensate for the shell being very slightly out-of-round... maybe those should come off. Also checking to see if I still have invoices or packing lists on this.

Posted on 5 years ago

I couldn't find any parts records quickly (found the Precision bill). That being said, I do see the differences. Most importantly - I have made yet another noob mistake and mis-represented this drum in the thread title... it's only 7" deep. Now let's see... there was a way to edit the thread title...?

Posted on 5 years ago

Found it... thanks for your patience! ...I originally posted this as an 8 X 14 based on a false memory of something.

Posted on 5 years ago

From marktech

And... you've both got me thinking - since it's going to be more a a collector piece than a player piece for me at present, if I would decide to spend any more time or money on it, what would be the best course of action to take from here? I could put the original bottom hoop and snare wires on it (loosely tensioned) and put it back in its case (where it is now) and consider moving it on someday. I keep an Acrolite on my "daily beater" (Ludwig MIT Accent Combo in red with some 70's A Zildjians around it) which serves me and the grandkids well... everything else is more or less "on the table". Would it be a miracle to find an original top hoop with that elegant rim stamp? Note also the black nylon sleeved rod washers - I put these on to help with alignment and to help compensate for the shell being very slightly out-of-round... maybe those should come off. Also checking to see if I still have invoices or packing lists on this.

Personally I would try to set it up original but I would also play it. I like vintage stuff but im not a collector drums are for playing as far as im concerned. You could certainly leave it as you have it and look for the original parts. They docome up available. You may tru some of the facebook pages if you want togo that route.

Posted on 5 years ago

Yes, think I agree. I only have a couple kits and a dozen snares... as well as few guitars, basses, amps, etc. and lately I've not pursued musical activities much, spending more of that time with family. I would certainly consider finding new homes for a few drums, where they would get played more often! My main interest, at least at first, is sharing and learning.

And again - my apologies for the incorrect Depth Spec... Many of you probably went... "huh"? Admin, if you could help me out with the Thread Title.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here