Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Requesting advice on Ludwig bass drum hoop inlays

Hi guys,

I bought two 22" bass drum hoops to upgrade the nasty ones on my 1966 Ludwig kit. I'm very happy with the condition of the wood and the repainted black (although it's a bit too glossy). But what I'm not happy about, is that the glue that holds the inlay in place was not the right glue.

There are several areas where the inlay has come away from the wood. The ends are nicely stapled, so I can only assume that the inlay was not pulled tight enough, and that the glue was not the best one to use.

I'd like to tighten and re-glue both inlays, but I have no knowledge on the best way to do this. Nor the pitfalls/mistakes I'd like to avoid. Does anyone have a good step-by-step process they'd be willing to share?

Or, can anyone recommend someone who does a profession job of securing the inlays on Ludwig hoops?

Thanks in advance. Marty Black

Posted on 4 years ago

I have repaired a few bass hoops and inserts. Sometimes removing the staples can be painstaking. I have actually,removed some staples and glued the inserts down and were able to replace the staples. I have had excellent results using the regular Elmers white glue like we used in school. I spread a line of glue all around the middle of the hoop trench and use little spring clamps about three inches apart to secure the wrap inserts. Then wipe the excess glue with a damp cloth. That glue dries clear. Staples optional. Some inserts I didn't even need to staple. I have painted some hoops without removing the inserts if they were fine and stapled. I just cover the strips with masking tape and run a exacto knife down each side of the insert and remove the tape on each side, then you can paint the hoops. Done that a few times. I would just sand the hoop enough to get the flaky paint off then paint. Always came out great.

Posted on 4 years ago

Thanks much, Mr. Vibes! I got some Elmer's and some plastic spring-loaded clamps at Ace Hardware, and - uncharacteristically (!), I'm taking my time and doing a section at a time...rather than hurrying!

I was able to pull the staples with pliers and rub off (with my fingers) what-appears-to-be rubber cement, which was used to secure the inlay after the hoops were repainted. No wonder, it lifted. And the inlay wasn't pulled tight enough....

Anyhow, so far, so good! An easy, fun project! And I won't need to make any additional trips to the hardware store!

Thanks! MB

Posted on 4 years ago

Great! Hope it works for you. Show us some pics.

Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here