Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Replicating a Ludwig Transition Badge

I needed a Ludwig transition badge to finish a 1960 tom which was part of a "Ringo" players kit I had put together for a guy in a Beatles cover band. The bass had its original transition badge but the tom shell came to me as a bare shell with no badge. I found an original transition badge for sale on eBay, but there was no way I was going to spend the ridiculous asking price (seriously, is anyone really getting $40 for a beatup Ludwig badge?), so I thought about replicating a faux transition badge. The guy buying the kit said he didn't care at all about authenticity; he just cared about how the drums looked on stage. So here's what I did...

Step 1: Create a graphic copy of the badge in Microsoft WORD...

[Attachment: 119603]

Step 2: Print the graphic on a blank decal sheet (from the local hobby shop)....

[Attachment: 119604]

Step 3: Buy a thin brass plate from Home Depot....

[Attachment: 119605]

Step 4: Trace and cut out the keystone template....

[Attachment: 119606]

Step 5: Remove the protective plastic covering the brass, apply the decal and coat with decal hardener. Install on drum with grommet. Pictured on the left is the replicated badge. On the right is an actual original transition badge.

[Attachment: 119607]

Did it come out perfect? Nope. I need more practice applying decals. Haven't worked with decals since I was a kid building model planes. Not bad for the first attempt, and from ten feet away, who'll notice?

Comments?

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 6 years ago

Great Job.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 6 years ago

Absolutely fantastic job for your first try! They can only get better!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

Hey Mike

I LOVE IT ! Very ingenious thanks for sharing.

I may need to do one or two of them.

Did you use a razor knife for the brass or tin snips?

Any chance you'll share your graphic copy?

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 6 years ago

grommet looks to be off a little? sometimes I think i'm quite crafty, but this time my hats off to you.

Posted on 6 years ago

From CTMichaelV

Hey Mike I LOVE IT ! Very ingenious thanks for sharing.I may need to do one or two of them. Did you use a razor knife for the brass or tin snips?Any chance you'll share your graphic copy?Michael

Mike,

I used very small tin snips to cut out the keystone blank then rounded the sharp corners with a file. As Burgundy noticed, I drilled the grommet hole just a little too high. I'll have to adjust my template. If you want to try this yourself, just use my posted pic of the graphic and resize it as needed when you're printing it (but remember to lower the grommet hole a little!).

Thanks guys for your comments.

Mike

P.S. Just edited the template graphic to center the grommet hole. Save and print this version...

[Attachment: 119623]

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 6 years ago

Whatever I do I always show before and after pics if I’m selling just to let him no some original parts are replicated or fauxed in

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here