Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Replacing stripped spurs and floor tom bracket on early 70s slingerland kit

Hey everyone,

This kit will be arriving soon! I've been told that this kit has two stripped kick drum spurs and one stripped out floor tom bracket. Are there drop-in replacements for these? Thanks!

I think I've uploaded this right! If not, I can try again.

2 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago

Hello LudwigGuy! You've got a beautiful BR80N set on the way! I've had 3 of these sets and they are great! As to those stripped out casings, if the chrome is good on them, I'd have the threads repaired with a Helicoil. A competent machine shop can do this for you. Might be less expensive than buying all the necessary parts and tools yourself. Barring that, spur and leg brackets can be found on eBay and Reverb, but sometimes the asking price can be a bit high.

I'm looking through my Slingerland pictures of my sets and will post a picture of a repaired bracket as soon as I find it!

-Mark

Posted on 1 year ago

Here's a bass drum bracket that I'll be using for the restoration of my 1965 Modern Solo 2R set. You can see the Helicoil in the bracket. The size needed is for a 5/16-24 thread. Hope this helps.

-Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago

+1 with Mark.

Posted on 1 year ago

Thank you so much!!!! I went to O'Reilly's and ordered a kit for about $45.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/heli-coil/tools---equipment/hand-tools/cutting---drilling-tools/thread-repair/tap-and-die-sets/0e7d9dd192aa/heli-coil-sae-thread-repair-kit/hel0/55285

It will be cool to be able to make repairs myself when something else strips out. I ordered it tonight at 9pm at the store, and it should arrive at 10:30am tomorrow. I just have to go pick it up.

Thanks again!

Posted on 1 year ago

Oh, and while I have your attention, what size is the wing bolt/wing screw goes into this?

Posted on 1 year ago

From LudwigGuy

Oh, and while I have your attention, what size is the wing bolt/wing screw goes into this?

Hi LudwigGuy!

Like my post said, the size is 5/16-24 thread. But, if you're referring to the length of the T-screw, it was part number WS-25, which had a thread length of 3/4". Hope this helps!

-Mark

Posted on 1 year ago

Is it a 6 mil screw?

Posted on 1 year ago

No, it is 5/16” diameter, 24 threads per inch and 3/4” long. As Mark stated: 5/16-24 x 3/4. Be sure you have the correct Heli-core kit.

Posted on 1 year ago

Ok, so far so good! I was able to fix all of the stripped holes with the heli-coil kit and I have the tools whenever it happens again! Instead of spending lots of money on memory locks, I bought o-rings from the hardware store that fit tightly around the floor tom legs. I’m also going to put some on the inside sections of the spurs so set-up will be easy.

I also needed a wing screw for one of the spurs. There are almost none out there to be had with this particular size/thread, and if you find them, they are sort of expensive. Luckily I found something that would work off of an old kick drum pedal, so I’ll be using that.

I ordered new heads all the way around, but it still may be a week or so before I get it all put together. Thanks for everyone’s help!

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here