Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Repairing ripped calf skin head?

I have an old 50's Kent kit that I am working on reviving. The original calf skin heads are still on the bass drum. While a little bit dirty, the beater side is in working shape. The front resonant head, however, is mostly fine except for a four-inch, relatively-straight tear leading from the hoop toward the center of the head. There is no fraying or curling around the rip. The gap is maybe one millimeter at the widest part of the tear.

In the interests of saving the head, can a tear like this in a calf skin head be repaired, especially a resonant bass head? What would be my options for repair? Sewing, glued patch, tape, fish membrane (suggested on one website for antique hand drums)? Because of the size and location of the tear, I contemplated getting one of those Remo or Aquarian adhesive kits for making an off-center port hole in the area of the tear but I would prefer to keep that as a back-up option right now. I suppose I could salvage the rest of the calf skin for tucking smaller tom heads but then I would have to resort to my final option: buying a new resonant head for the old kit. I will buy a new head if I have to but I would love to try to save the original if possible.

Any thoughts, opinions or experiences welcome!

Posted on 17 years ago

I would dampen it with tepid water and then sew it with some sturdy thread. I've seen it done on drums before. It looks great and it seems to allow the heads to be used and it doesn't have a drastic effect on the sound. It IS skin, after all, so it's just like getting stitches.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the response! I tried moistening the skin a little around the rip and sewing it up in a cross-stitch pattern last night. I could not get the skin to stretch enough to close the gap 100% but it looks better than before. I will let the skin dry out, then reset the head and give it a go. I will update in a week or so after the head is back on and has been tested a little under working conditions.

Posted on 17 years ago

Well, the repaired calf skin head has performed fine through almost a month of use. Granted, I used it as a resonant head rather than a beater but the repair has held up fine under tightened/tuned conditions with no further tearing. I am particularly happy given the head has been through a variety of moisture conditions over the past weeks (Wisconsin summers) but has given no obvious sonic indication of being previously torn. I may try it as a beater head someday but I am leaving where it is for now. Thanks for the advice!

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey, that's great. Yeah, I had the same situation -an old transition badge bass drum as original as the day it was built except the front head was cracked fron top to bottom. I figured I had nothing to lose. When I started, the cracked part was all splayed and wrinkled. After I got it dampened, I was able to sew it allllllmosssst together...but not quite. Just like your results, the head performed just fine even with the crack. Plus, I thought it looked interesting, too -a definite conversation piece!. I'm sure there are ways to do it so that the whole gap could be sewn back...but Iwasn't skilled enough at the technique.

Thanks for checking it out!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here