Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Repairing hardware stand

Here's the situation:

A hi-hat stand, really nice and sturdy, but someone has managed to kind of "flatten" the outer (= lowest) tube out a bit in one region. I guess this was done by tightening the wing nut way too much that holds the legs in place. Often.

Cosmetically, well, it's a pity, but I can live with it (it's not very visible, and no chrome is gone). But the big problem is that the inner tube is stuck. Can't move it up or down, because the outer tube is sort of dented like that. So I can't adjust the height of the hi-hat :p.

(Edit: the hi-hat functions fine, the (whatyacallit?) "inner rod to which the clutch attaches" moves fine. It's just that I can't adjust the height of the thing, because the tube inside the outer tube can't move.)

Question:

Is there a (n easy) way to repair the outer tube without heating it?

I have read on some places (bicycle forums seem the place to be :p) that they put something under high pressure in the tube (water => ice, air) so that a fair amount of pressure works on the walls and then they heat the spot so the tube regains its circular cross section.

But with the chrome and my inexperience, I'd rather not do that.

(Also, I'm not sure it would fit in my freezer without taking food out :p)

I was thinking of some sort of circular washer/nut or something that expands, so that if you put it inside the tube, it will slowly push out the "dent". I know I'd have to force out the inner tube for that first, but I can live with that if it's necessary. But I don't know whether these exist, and whether they are strong enough to round out a steel tube.

Is there a way to fix this, so the stand becomes functional once again? I don't want to throw it away...

I do realize chances are the chrome will be damaged from the process, but if it's necessary, so be it. It's a stand to be played (well, the hats are :p).

Thanks!

Posted on 13 years ago

Band instrument repair shops have tools and equipment to remove dents in brass instrument tubing (trombones, tubas, etc). If there is a good shop in your area, they might be able to help. Good luck!

Posted on 13 years ago

Suggestion,...Find a piece of solid or very thick hollow steel, that fits snug inside the tube. It doesn`t have to be very long, and hammer it through with another smaller rod or dowel long enough.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

Prolly a bushing or spacer !!

Posted on 13 years ago

Actually I think you better use a ball berring so you don`t dig into the siude !!

Posted on 13 years ago

Hey, thanks!

The hard part would be finding something that fits in there exactly, but the thing might actually fit into my freezer after all IF I disassembled it completely (which means taking out some rivets :/).

I'll see when I have a worked out plan of attack on this one.

I'm actually using my drum-fixing-time now to (finally!) try and get my free School Festival back up and running :D.

Posted on 13 years ago

You`ll find that a Hi Hat keeps pretty well without haveing to go in the freezer, besides, it might spoil the meats !!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here