Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Repairing Dynasonic Snare Wires

Hi all

I have attached a photo of what I believe to be Dynasonic snare wires. As you can see, the epoxy has broken apart and the wires are loose on one end. Also, it is missing a wire.

I guess my first question should be, can anyone confirm whether this is actually a Dynasonic snare strand?

Secondly, does anyone know how to remove the old epoxy, re-align the strands and apply new epoxy? Also, is it possible to locate a replacement wire?

I know I could use Puresound and forget it, but wanted to first see if these can be repaired just to try to preserve it.

Thanks for your help!

50's Gretsch RB 13/16/20 w/Matching Snare Midnight Blue Pearl
60's Gretsch Jasper RB Progressive Jazz Silver Sparkle
Rogers Dayton Top Hat Silver Glass Glitter w/Powertone
'65 Ludwig Super Classic 12/13/16/16/22 Blue Sparkle with Supraphonic 400 Rescue Kit
Slingerland Pre-Badge/Pre-Vent Hole 12/14/18 Blue Agate Pearl w/Matching Snare
No-name MIJ 12/16/20 Red Sparkle Rescue Kit
Tama Starclassic Birch 6-piece Red Aztec Fade w/Matching Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

I'd also like to know if this is possible as I just attempted this without success. I had 3 wires completely unattached on one end when I bought the Dyna snare frame. I managed to epoxy them back into position, but they had apparently stretched slightly when they originally broke loose. The result was the 3 wires stayed in place just fine with the new epoxy, but being slightly, slightly longer than the rest of the wires from stretching, they couldn't be evenly tensioned and buzzed terribly even though the rest of the wires were fine.

Could I have possibly stretched them myself during epoxying? It's possible. Should I have noticed the loose wires were slightly longer and snipped a millimeter off the ends before reattaching? Probably. Either way, I'll keep them stored just so I have the original snares in case I ever decide to sell the snare, but I'm going to buy the Puresound SD-1416 for playing.

By the way, there was a thread that contained a link to a reasonably priced Puresound source. Does anyone remember what it was?

Mike C.

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 12 years ago

Amazon.com seems to be the least expensive source

'65 Ludwig Super Classic 12/13/16/16/22 Blue Sparkle with Supraphonic 400 Rescue Kit
Posted on 12 years ago

I have the same problem I have two sets of wires one is epoxied and the other soldered both missing wires.

Here's a link to the least expensive replacement I've found.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Strand-Rogers-Dynasonic-Snares/dp/B0002D0JGA/ref=sr_1_58?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1317726207&sr=1-58[/ame]

Posted on 12 years ago

This is fixable. I have done it.

It takes patience. Get the wire ends and landing plate clean. Work on a good flat surface, and you must keep everything flat, paying good attention to the spacing of the wires, and keep them square to the landing plate. Once you get it all layed out, set a weight on the wires to hold position steady and unmoving while you do the epoxy. Leave yourself workroom at the end to be reassembled. Two part epoxy you can get at any hardware store. Get it all positioned, then carefully bury the wires in the epoxy.

Walk away.

File epoxy smooth and flat, install.

Mine has held for about two years now.

for new wires, Bentleys Drum Shop in Fresno CA.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 12 years ago

Another great source for vintage Puresound wires is Interstatemusic.com

You'll find Dynasonic wires for $35.98. I recently purchased a set for my 1966 Dynasonic, but have not yet installed them.

If you do repair your original wires, please post pictures!

Posted on 12 years ago

If you include the missing wires, your set has 19 strands. That is the correct number for Rogers snare set.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks all, especially to Ploughman who provided the procedure for the repair.

Ploughman, do you know of a product that will dissolve the old hardened and broken epoxy?

Also, I called Bentley's in Fresno and the wires they have are the new Puresound, not the individual wires. Same with interstatemusic.com. Not a bad solution, they do sound great!

Thanks again!

Posted on 12 years ago

The Puresound wires work excellently and do perfectly replace Dynasonic wires on the most common frames, ie... the single screw frames, Cleveland, Dayton, Fullerton "ladder" style frames and also the Fullerton Big R style. If you have the older 1st gen frame and need to replace with Puresound, it can be done with slight modification to the landing plates on the wire set with a drill. The only way to get original individual wires is to cannibalize an original wire set.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks again Ploughman!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here