Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Repairing Cracked Wrap

Hello, can anyone help me figure out the best way to stop a cracked wrap from getting worse? The crack is roughly 1 inch long (at the most) and barely visible. It's just a little more than a hairline fracture. Is there anything that I can put on it to stop it from growing?

Here's a photo...it's very small but very annoying. It's a '63 Rogers Holiday black onyx wrap. Any thoughts?

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

From the location of the crack , it looks like some pressure , either, sloppy head fitting or a whack on the edge of the wrap, when the head was off started it. If it is a little loose or lifted there( I suspect it is) , take an old fashioned straight pin---the ones that look like little finishing nails and with a very small hammer,side of a pair of pliers or anything with that kind of weight, and knock the pin through the very end of the crack( you may have to locate it with a lens.It will leave a very small hole but will inhibit the crack from continueing. Then slide some water soluble contact cement, or other glue such as crazy or epoxy in under the two little flaps on either side of the crack and clip each side with clothespins overnight.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the reply Calfskin.

It doesn't seem like the wrap has lifted up any. It's just split. And, unfortunately, it has split in 3 places. I have the drum now and removed the head and, as I suspected, there were more to be found. No peeling though. So maybe I just put some epoxy inside the cracks and try not to get any on the top of the wrap itself??? Still not quite sure what to do about it.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks!

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Im in the auto glass business. We drill a hole in the end of a crack to keep it from spreading, then fill the hole with rockchip repair resin. Clafskins idea sounds like a excellent idea, except for the knocking part. Knocking could actually make the crack spread if the wrap is very brittle. I would try a extremly small drill bit, or maybe heat up the straight pin with a lighter and just push it through the end of the crack. Then a drop of epoxy applied with the straight pin.

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 12 years ago