Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Repairing a Ludwig beater?

I just got a Speed King on the bay; the pedal itself is in great shape but the beater assembly is missing the bottom plate/flange so the wool beater itself falls down. It's obviously unusable as it is, and I would like to use this one because the beater is softer, plus it's original. I have some ideas on how to fix it but if anyone has any ideas, fire them at me.

One thing I was thinking was a washer and some kind of ring with a set screw to hold it securely in place....

Kits:
1966 Ludwig Hollywood Gold Sparkle Pearl 12/13/16/22
Star 3pc in Red Glass Glitter (1960's)
Snares:
1959 Ludwig Pioneer Mahogany
60's Ludwig Pioneer Gold Sparkle
60's Ludwig Acrolite (Keystone)
Ludwig/Custom 6.5x14
1960's Bolero (MIJ)
Posted on 12 years ago

The beater shaft should be "stepped". Try using a flat washer like a "fender washer" and an E-clip that fits the shaft above the stepped part. This should hold the beater ball in place.

Posted on 12 years ago

This particular beater is welded, not stepped. I just went and re-checked it... even the top cap is popping off like the weld broke. The bottom plate probably broke loose at some point; I can barely make out the weld marks if I look closely.

I didn't know the top was loose also... I may have to figure out a different strategy, or just get a replacement if I can find a vintage one under 10 bucks because it would be much less than that to fix it.

Kits:
Snares:
Ludwig/Custom 6.5x14
1960's Bolero (MIJ)
Posted on 12 years ago

Anyone have experience with JB Weld? Would a metal epoxy like that work to re-secure the cap at least?

Kits:
Snares:
Ludwig/Custom 6.5x14
1960's Bolero (MIJ)
Posted on 12 years ago

how about taking a metal tubing cutter and making a groove in the shaft below the bottom of the beater. then go to the hardware store and find a retaining ring,e-clamp,or whatever they are called. i forget. that should hold it in place i would think.

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

Hey now, that's not a bad idea... I will give it a shot, thanks :)

Kits:
Snares:
Ludwig/Custom 6.5x14
1960's Bolero (MIJ)
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here