Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Repairing 14 inch 70's COS Slingerland Snare side Sticksaver Hoop?

Hey guys, I have a 14 inch 8 hole 70's COS Slingerland Snare Side hoop that needs some repairing. The hoop fits too tight for the bottom snare side head, I am not sure if the hoop is out of round or just warped on one side. A 14 inch snare side head fits, it just fits way too tight inside the hoop. What should I do to repair it? Any ideas would be great. Thanks for your time. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Hey guys, I have a 14 inch 8 hole 70's COS Slingerland Snare Side hoop that needs some repairing. The hoop fits too tight for the bottom snare side head, I am not sure if the hoop is out of round or just warped on one side. A 14 inch snare side head fits, it just fits way too tight inside the hoop. What should I do to repair it? Any ideas would be great. Thanks for your time. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Hello Phil, Perhaps take some measurements, and see if it is indeed out of round? You might be able to coax it back into shape. Perhaps possibly the Hoop is distorted due to a previous owner cranking down on it like a Gorilla?

Original vintage replacements can usually be found on Ebay. An 8-Holer is probably more common, and less expensive than a 10-hole, or the ever rarer 12 hole Hoops.

I myself might even have a brand new COS Sticksaver Snareside Hoop lying around here, as I bought a bunch of NOS stuff from Musicalcloseouts before they too went under. The Snare Gate might be a little different though (Deeper) but would probably work just fine. Mark

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi Mark, E-Bay is where I purchased this Slingerland COS Snare side 14 inch 8 hole Sticksaver hoop! I have seen on Vintagedrums.com, which is Ned Iberman's site how to repair bent hoops-rims, I may have to give his method a try. How should I measure for something like this, I need more info. Thanks again for your response. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago

Hello Phil, Please forgive me not not responding sooner to your post, and questions.

About the only way I can think of to check for roundness, is to measure directly across at different points on the hoop. In any area that is slightly smaller in dimension, you may be able to ever so slightly "pull" the hoop with both of your hands, and then re-check. With a bit of care, and patience, you may get the results you desire. Since the Hoop does appear to be evidently not a very good one as you've found, and would probably give you tuning problems, there may not be much to lose should you somehow make the Hoop worse by this experimentation.

In closing, I had noticed that none of the Hoops I have on stash are 8-Hole Hoops, they are all 10-Hole, sorry. Mark

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi Mark, No problem, I actually was able to coax the hoop back into shape. It was only a tad bit out of round. Now it is completely in-round and is perfect. Thanks again for your help. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here